Feb 1, 2011, 2:40 PM EDT
What’s the lifespan of an NBA arena, before it becomes a dinosaur?
Apparently, about two decades.
The Timberwolves play in the 21-year-old Target Center in Minneapolis and Tuesday owner Glen Taylor and community leaders started to lay out a $155 million plan to modernize the building. What they want to do is find a public/private partnership to enhance public money and revenue bonds in place, everyone told the Star Tribune.
“If we could have our wish list, we do what a lot of other communities have done, and that would be have a new facility,” Taylor said. “But I served in the Legislature. I know the difficulties that the government is facing, so we have never asked for a new facility. What we want is to bring this up to date for our fans. … We want our fans to have the same experience that they would have at Target Field, the Xcel Center or the new football field at the University of Minnesota [TCF Bank Stadium].”
A $1 billion bonding plan announced by Gov. Mark Dayton Monday includes $8 million to match city money (Minneapolis mayor R.T.) Rybak said will be used for basic upkeep at Target Center. The city already has $50 million in tax increment financing funds over the next 10 years aimed at keeping the facility functional.
“Now we have to come up with a public-private venture to bring it up to another level,” Rybak said.
The amenities being discussed are changes to seating and sight lines (making it easier to draw concerts to the venue), more and better food vendors, more bathrooms, and a beautification of a building that from the outside looks like a lot of cement. Part of the plan is to change the corner of the building where the main entrance is to create a more inviting space and lobby area.
Only three other NBA teams have older buildings, and the Kings are desperately trying to get out of theirs while Madison Square Garden is undergoing a massive renovation.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 13
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20