Feb 1, 2011, 3:20 PM EST
While the shorts have gone baggy — and may we never return to the ‘80s short-shorts — the latest thing in NBA jerseys may be skin-tight compression look.
These are an option for NBA players participating in the All-Star Game, according to UniWatch (via The Basketball Jones). The picture here doesn’t do it justice, to see a full-length picture of the uniform, click here.
Note we said option. Players can wear a more traditional uniform or this compression look.
A lot of players wear compression tops under their jerseys already, and for players that bang around in the paint a lot (or drive the lane often) there is padding attached to that on the ribs. This would sort of be the next step. If you want to take that step.
Personally, I don’t hate it. I’d call myself neutral on the look. My only request: Don’t make these available to the people in the All-Star Celebrity Game. I love Magic Johnson but the thought of him in a compression jersey…. great, now I’m nauseous.
UniWatch makes one great point: While that skin-tight jersey can work on a professional athletes’ body, how marketable is that? Can you really sell compression jerseys in the team store? Look around at the crowds at most NBA games and you don’t want to see 90 percent of those people in anything form-fitting. (To be fair, that percentage is higher in the media rooms.)
But we may get to see it All-Star Weekend — if any of the players give it a go.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 0
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 2
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 10
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Report: Kenyon Martin, Metta World Peace had “heated” argument (35)