Feb 1, 2011, 3:20 PM EDT
While the shorts have gone baggy — and may we never return to the ‘80s short-shorts — the latest thing in NBA jerseys may be skin-tight compression look.
These are an option for NBA players participating in the All-Star Game, according to UniWatch (via The Basketball Jones). The picture here doesn’t do it justice, to see a full-length picture of the uniform, click here.
Note we said option. Players can wear a more traditional uniform or this compression look.
A lot of players wear compression tops under their jerseys already, and for players that bang around in the paint a lot (or drive the lane often) there is padding attached to that on the ribs. This would sort of be the next step. If you want to take that step.
Personally, I don’t hate it. I’d call myself neutral on the look. My only request: Don’t make these available to the people in the All-Star Celebrity Game. I love Magic Johnson but the thought of him in a compression jersey…. great, now I’m nauseous.
UniWatch makes one great point: While that skin-tight jersey can work on a professional athletes’ body, how marketable is that? Can you really sell compression jerseys in the team store? Look around at the crowds at most NBA games and you don’t want to see 90 percent of those people in anything form-fitting. (To be fair, that percentage is higher in the media rooms.)
But we may get to see it All-Star Weekend — if any of the players give it a go.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 14
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 16
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17