Feb 1, 2011, 7:29 PM EST
DeMarcus Cousins is one of the most talented rookies in this year’s draft class. He’s also one of the most mercurial, and his play has been inconsistent throughout this season. However, the lightbulb seems to have gone off for Cousins recently: after the Bobcats held him to 9 points on 2-8 shooting on January 15th, Cousins scored 52 combined points in wins against the Lakers and the Hornets.
What caused Cousins’ recent mini-breakout? According to Cousins, some light pre-game trash talk from Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw fueled his breakout performance against the Lakers:
“I kind of got mad before the Lakers game,” No. 15 said. “I was just warming up and (Lakers’ assistant coach) Brian Shaw came up to me and said, ‘I know who Andrew Bynum is going to eat for dinner tonight.’ It inspired me, and it has carried over.”
Cousins also predicted that Kevin Garnett will try to get in Cousins’ head the way Brian Shaw did when the Kings play the Celtics in Sacramento tonight. Considering what a motivated Cousins did to the Lakers and the Hornets, that might not be the best idea, but I don’t think Kevin Garnett will back down from the challenge of facing an angry DeMarcus Cousins.
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 0
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 2
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 10
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 13
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 9