Feb 1, 2011, 7:29 PM EST
DeMarcus Cousins is one of the most talented rookies in this year’s draft class. He’s also one of the most mercurial, and his play has been inconsistent throughout this season. However, the lightbulb seems to have gone off for Cousins recently: after the Bobcats held him to 9 points on 2-8 shooting on January 15th, Cousins scored 52 combined points in wins against the Lakers and the Hornets.
What caused Cousins’ recent mini-breakout? According to Cousins, some light pre-game trash talk from Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw fueled his breakout performance against the Lakers:
“I kind of got mad before the Lakers game,” No. 15 said. “I was just warming up and (Lakers’ assistant coach) Brian Shaw came up to me and said, ‘I know who Andrew Bynum is going to eat for dinner tonight.’ It inspired me, and it has carried over.”
Cousins also predicted that Kevin Garnett will try to get in Cousins’ head the way Brian Shaw did when the Kings play the Celtics in Sacramento tonight. Considering what a motivated Cousins did to the Lakers and the Hornets, that might not be the best idea, but I don’t think Kevin Garnett will back down from the challenge of facing an angry DeMarcus Cousins.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 9
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 8
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5