Feb 1, 2011, 7:29 PM EDT
DeMarcus Cousins is one of the most talented rookies in this year’s draft class. He’s also one of the most mercurial, and his play has been inconsistent throughout this season. However, the lightbulb seems to have gone off for Cousins recently: after the Bobcats held him to 9 points on 2-8 shooting on January 15th, Cousins scored 52 combined points in wins against the Lakers and the Hornets.
What caused Cousins’ recent mini-breakout? According to Cousins, some light pre-game trash talk from Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw fueled his breakout performance against the Lakers:
“I kind of got mad before the Lakers game,” No. 15 said. “I was just warming up and (Lakers’ assistant coach) Brian Shaw came up to me and said, ‘I know who Andrew Bynum is going to eat for dinner tonight.’ It inspired me, and it has carried over.”
Cousins also predicted that Kevin Garnett will try to get in Cousins’ head the way Brian Shaw did when the Kings play the Celtics in Sacramento tonight. Considering what a motivated Cousins did to the Lakers and the Hornets, that might not be the best idea, but I don’t think Kevin Garnett will back down from the challenge of facing an angry DeMarcus Cousins.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50