Feb 1, 2011, 7:29 PM EDT
DeMarcus Cousins is one of the most talented rookies in this year’s draft class. He’s also one of the most mercurial, and his play has been inconsistent throughout this season. However, the lightbulb seems to have gone off for Cousins recently: after the Bobcats held him to 9 points on 2-8 shooting on January 15th, Cousins scored 52 combined points in wins against the Lakers and the Hornets.
What caused Cousins’ recent mini-breakout? According to Cousins, some light pre-game trash talk from Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw fueled his breakout performance against the Lakers:
“I kind of got mad before the Lakers game,” No. 15 said. “I was just warming up and (Lakers’ assistant coach) Brian Shaw came up to me and said, ‘I know who Andrew Bynum is going to eat for dinner tonight.’ It inspired me, and it has carried over.”
Cousins also predicted that Kevin Garnett will try to get in Cousins’ head the way Brian Shaw did when the Kings play the Celtics in Sacramento tonight. Considering what a motivated Cousins did to the Lakers and the Hornets, that might not be the best idea, but I don’t think Kevin Garnett will back down from the challenge of facing an angry DeMarcus Cousins.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 2
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6