Jan 31, 2011, 9:56 AM EST
The question is does Williams want Memphis?
The Grizzlies were going to claim Williams off waivers but he asked them not to and they obliged, according to the Commercial-Appeal. Williams wants to see if there is interest from contending teams or at least ones headed farther into the playoffs than Memphis.
As of today the Grizzlies are in the ninth spot in the West, a game and a half out of the final playoff spot. Of course, earning the seventh or eighth seed means getting the Spurs or Lakers in the first round.
Not sure who else is out there with real interest that would intrigue Williams more than Memphis — and Memphis is not going away in this. They are pursuing Williams at the request of owner Michael Heisley. When an owner wants something, you don’t stop trying.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 1
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 8
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14