Jan 31, 2011, 9:56 AM EDT
The question is does Williams want Memphis?
The Grizzlies were going to claim Williams off waivers but he asked them not to and they obliged, according to the Commercial-Appeal. Williams wants to see if there is interest from contending teams or at least ones headed farther into the playoffs than Memphis.
As of today the Grizzlies are in the ninth spot in the West, a game and a half out of the final playoff spot. Of course, earning the seventh or eighth seed means getting the Spurs or Lakers in the first round.
Not sure who else is out there with real interest that would intrigue Williams more than Memphis — and Memphis is not going away in this. They are pursuing Williams at the request of owner Michael Heisley. When an owner wants something, you don’t stop trying.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 3
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 20
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 14
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 11
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 9
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4