Jan 31, 2011, 12:24 PM EDT
Warriors’ fans: The most important thing is that they are looking.
Golden State’s ownership is talking trades and looking at brining in a real ace — one true top-flight guy that can anchor the franchise. Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry are both very good, David Lee is nice in the middle, but this team is still at least one big piece away.
What they are looking for is an elite wing player, a source told the Mercury News.
“If Dorell Wright is coming off the bench,” one team source said, “we’re a really good team. That would solve two problems. It would give us the upgrade in talent, and it would bolster our bench significantly.”
The problem: Good luck getting one.
The Warriors would love to bring in Andre Iguodala and get him out and running with Ellis and Curry, according to the story. The problem is, the Sixers are not going to move him as they close in on a playoff spot. Especially not just for the expiring contracts the Warriors have to offer.
Other options the Warriors would consider such as Luol Deng, Josh Smith and Danny Granger also all have the same issue — their teams are not looking to move them. There just aren’t good options for the Warriors.
Here is where Warrior fans should take heart — they are talking about making a big move. They are saying 20-27 isn’t good enough. This is not the Cohan ownership era anymore, the new owners want to win and will do what it takes to get there.
That is a big improvement. The improvement on the court will follow, eventually, but it couldn’t have happened without a change at the top.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 11
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 38
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 22
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 100
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27