Jan 31, 2011, 12:24 PM EDT
Warriors’ fans: The most important thing is that they are looking.
Golden State’s ownership is talking trades and looking at brining in a real ace — one true top-flight guy that can anchor the franchise. Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry are both very good, David Lee is nice in the middle, but this team is still at least one big piece away.
What they are looking for is an elite wing player, a source told the Mercury News.
“If Dorell Wright is coming off the bench,” one team source said, “we’re a really good team. That would solve two problems. It would give us the upgrade in talent, and it would bolster our bench significantly.”
The problem: Good luck getting one.
The Warriors would love to bring in Andre Iguodala and get him out and running with Ellis and Curry, according to the story. The problem is, the Sixers are not going to move him as they close in on a playoff spot. Especially not just for the expiring contracts the Warriors have to offer.
Other options the Warriors would consider such as Luol Deng, Josh Smith and Danny Granger also all have the same issue — their teams are not looking to move them. There just aren’t good options for the Warriors.
Here is where Warrior fans should take heart — they are talking about making a big move. They are saying 20-27 isn’t good enough. This is not the Cohan ownership era anymore, the new owners want to win and will do what it takes to get there.
That is a big improvement. The improvement on the court will follow, eventually, but it couldn’t have happened without a change at the top.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30