Jan 31, 2011, 12:24 PM EDT
Warriors’ fans: The most important thing is that they are looking.
Golden State’s ownership is talking trades and looking at brining in a real ace — one true top-flight guy that can anchor the franchise. Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry are both very good, David Lee is nice in the middle, but this team is still at least one big piece away.
What they are looking for is an elite wing player, a source told the Mercury News.
“If Dorell Wright is coming off the bench,” one team source said, “we’re a really good team. That would solve two problems. It would give us the upgrade in talent, and it would bolster our bench significantly.”
The problem: Good luck getting one.
The Warriors would love to bring in Andre Iguodala and get him out and running with Ellis and Curry, according to the story. The problem is, the Sixers are not going to move him as they close in on a playoff spot. Especially not just for the expiring contracts the Warriors have to offer.
Other options the Warriors would consider such as Luol Deng, Josh Smith and Danny Granger also all have the same issue — their teams are not looking to move them. There just aren’t good options for the Warriors.
Here is where Warrior fans should take heart — they are talking about making a big move. They are saying 20-27 isn’t good enough. This is not the Cohan ownership era anymore, the new owners want to win and will do what it takes to get there.
That is a big improvement. The improvement on the court will follow, eventually, but it couldn’t have happened without a change at the top.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 20
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 13
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 46
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Serena Williams sorry after rape case comments
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record