Kevin Durant calls Chris Bosh “a fake tough guy”

Jan 30, 2011, 7:07 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Oklahoma City Thunder

Kevin Durant and Chris Bosh had some words today in the Thunder’s loss to the Heat, and then spoke some even stronger words to the press post-game. In the first quarter, the two were involved in a small altercation of words that resulted in double technicals for both stars. Bosh says the altercation was the product of Durant encouraging James Harden to dunk on Bosh. From The Oklahoman:

“He was telling Harden to dunk on me,” Bosh said. “He said dunk the next one. I expressed that, no, he’s not going to dunk that. And he expressed, yes he is. We just kind of went back and forth. I don’t think it was anything to get a tech over. It was just talking.”

via Kevin Durant Rips Chris Bosh | Thunder Rumblings.

But the stronger words were from Durant, who called Chris Bosh a “fake tough guy.”

“I was talking to my teammate and [Bosh] decided he wanted to put his two cents into it. I am quiet guy, laid back guy, but I’m not going to let nobody talk trash to me. He’s on a good team now so he thinks he can talk a little bit. There are a lot of fake tough guys in this league and he’s one of them.”

“I’m no punk. I wasn’t even talking to him first off. He decided to butt in and I’m not going to just let that slide. Especially in our house. Like I said, he’s not one of those guys I look at and say he has a rap for talking back to guys or getting into it. He’s a nice guy. I’m not going to let that type of person say something to me like that.”

via Kevin Durant calls Chris Bosh a ‘fake tough guy’ – CBSSports.com.

For a guy as vanilla as KD, that’s the equivalent of calling someone a dirty word. Durant himself has been described as super nice, even as this more competitive side starts to poke through more and more. Bosh has taken a considerable flak for not being “tough” inside, but he also did superb work against a weaker Thunder interior, with a combination of hook shots, inside layups off the cut and his preferred mid-range jumper. That Durant has words for him is pretty indicative of where Bosh’s reputation has landed.

Still, if Durant didn’t have the fan-friendly reputation he has, you have to wonder if he would be slapped with a sore-loser comment. But because he’s Durant, and Bosh is, well, like a Bosh, this will probably only serve to make Durant more  a hero to the people.

With the Heat and Thunder expected to both be contenders over the next half-decade, we may have the start of a rivalry here.

1. goforthanddie - Jan 31, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Durant’s talking about a guy who complained about other players “playing too hard”. He did exactly what needs done against the Threego.

• pff - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:08 AM

“He did exactly what needs done against the Threego.”

…except win the game

2. hnirobert3 - Jan 31, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Soooooooo… Bosh stood up for himself after Durant told Harden to dunk on him and he’s a fake tough guy? I don’t think anyone considers Bosh a tough guy, but what’s wrong with what Bosh did? I’d feel worse as a Heat fan if Bosh just stood there and took it.

3. jstrizzle - Jan 31, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Easy for Durant to say. He gets a call any time any one looks at him wrong. He played like garbage against the Heat but got so many crap calls that they sent him to the line like 20 times to make his numbers look good.

• Colin Zvosec - Jan 31, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Is this really going to become a discussion when the Heat have both Wade and James? You know, two guys that just put their heads down, barrel into people, then get foul calls (seriously, you look up superstar calls in the dictionary, and you’ll see Dwyane Wade’s face). Do we really want to talk about bad calls in favor of Durant?

Didn’t think so.

• jstrizzle - Jan 31, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Durant had the same free throw attempts as Wade and James combined. James and Wade attack the rim way more and the refs even called offensive fouls on them. Maybe they need to change the that picture in the dictionary to the new face of superstar calls.

I think my favorite call was when he took a fader along the baseline and Joel Anthony jump straight up and made no body contact and was called for a foul.

4. bigtrav425 - Jan 31, 2011 at 11:26 AM

He is just saying what everyone else already knows…Bosh was/is and never will be a superstar.He is a good player but not your top player or 2 unless its a bad team or playing next to a LBJ or Wade etc

• eazye76 - Jan 31, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I hear you, nobody outside Miami is going to side with Bosh over Durant on anything. Chris Bosh was at the right place at the right time, he couldn’t carry Durant’s jockstrap.

• pff - Jan 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

LOL…hey Durant, your little vajayjay swollen because you lost the game yesterday at home? whaaa! Heat 1, Thunder 0

5. silencegooddoer - Jan 31, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Typical bully; acting tough on an easy target. instead of KD, try that stuff on KG and see what you get! I dare you!

• pff - Jan 31, 2011 at 1:30 PM

KG would just punch him in the pills and not get in trouble for it…again

6. southbeachtalent - Jan 31, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Bosch talked back to me! WAAAAAAAAAAAA I lost WAAAAAAAAAA!

• jerseejerry55 - Jan 31, 2011 at 4:40 PM

But if it were LBJ, or Wade they’d get the call EVERYTIME. Right??? My bigger problem is with that PUNK @ZZ Eddie House running around the court like a JACK@ZZ, cause he happened to hit a 3. If he happens to be with Miami the next time they play OKC, I’d leave the lane wide open, and when he got near the rim, I’d clothesline his @ZZ. Stupid is, as stupid does Eddie. You weren’t nothing on NJ, Boston, and definitely not Miami. You may think you got a brass set……….but you don’t. Show a little class, and humility.

7. cordae - Jan 31, 2011 at 6:05 PM

“Like I said, he’s not one of those guys I look at and say he has a rap for talking back to guys or getting into it. He’s a nice guy. I’m not going to let that type of person say something to me like that”

Soooooo if it were a NATIONALLY KNOWN trash-talker you’d let them talk crap to you? What difference does it make? Given the level of trash talk, you take it all the same way. He’s just mad because Bosh wasn’t a punk and just sit there and get dunked on. But the statement above shows how much of a punk Kevin Durant is. Thats like saying “Oh you’re not KG, you cant talk to many any kind of way you want. Youre nice, so shut up and let me talk crap to you”.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches