Jan 29, 2011, 6:10 PM EDT
This is my favorite excuse since Richard Gasquet kissed a girl….
Suspended Memphis Grizzlies player O.J. Mayo blamed an energy drink he purchased at a gas store for his positive test for the banned substance dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA). It was just a simple bad choice, that’s all, and he really should have gone with that Squishee Apu was trying to sell him at the Kwik-E-Mart (although good chance he’d test positive for something in those, too).
By the way: None of the top energy drink brands contain DHEA, according to CNBC’s Darren Rovell.
Mayo took responsibility for not checking the drink out with the team trainer, but said that he did not knowingly take DHEA in a supplement. Which we hope is true because studies show DHEA is really not helpful at building muscle mass or helping someone recover from a workout or any of the other things one would hope a steroid would do. If you’re going to get busted for a banned substance use one that works.
He added that he is not appealing the suspension, which was for 10 games and will keep him out until Feb. 15. It also will cost him $405,000.
I’m not a professional personal manager or PR consultant, but let me offer a word of advice to Mr. Mayo:
Don’t talk about it. Even if the rather fantastic gas station supplement story is true, you sound like one of those guys trying to dodge that you knowingly took something. Sports fans don’t buy these lines — we saw legendary baseball players bald-faced lie to congress about it. So now, telling the truth or not, people assume anyone saying they didn’t know what they were taking is lying. Not fair, but it’s the reality.
Keep quiet, stay in shape and when you get back play like a guy who had been taking very effective PEDs and all will be forgotten. Winning cures all ills.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20