Jan 29, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
So, in the midst of the Celtics’ abominable debacle against the Suns last night (hello, back-to-backs), things kind of got out of hand. Doc Rivers was tossed for continually arguing calls. The Celtics were getting rolled by the Suns, and then, well, this happened.
As to whether or not this was a foul, I only have one thing to add.
Ball don’t lie.
So anyway, Garnett winds up getting a technical along with Frye, then KG gets another technical and is tossed. Perkins and Nate also get T’s. All because Garnett decided to wap Channing Frye in his bathing suit area. Now, it wasn’t a full-thrown punch, which would lead to all sorts of trouble, but this still isn’t good. Garnett made contact with a shooter as he was coming down. That’s bad. But hitting him in the man parts? That’s going to make Stu Jackson and the league very uncomfortable. A suspension wouldn’t be a shocker, even with Celtics-Lakers on Sunday.
But it’s probably not worth it. Garnett did appear to be looking at the (basket)ball, and the contact likely wasn’t enough to warrant a suspension two days from such a huge game. But then again, this is the same league who suspends players for getting up and walking towards an incident if they’re on the bench. Not exactly rule benders up in Secaucus.
Big picture, this won’t do anything to help with the perception that Garnett is a cheap-shot artist and one who talks a big game but won’t back it up. Again, he makes inappropriate contact with a player, then when confronted, winds up backing away from the fight continuously. But that’s what Garnett should do: not get suspended. It’s just a perception thing. On the other hand…
Dude! Not cool!
(HT: NBA Facts and Rumors)
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 18
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 2
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 23
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0