Jan 29, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
So, in the midst of the Celtics’ abominable debacle against the Suns last night (hello, back-to-backs), things kind of got out of hand. Doc Rivers was tossed for continually arguing calls. The Celtics were getting rolled by the Suns, and then, well, this happened.
As to whether or not this was a foul, I only have one thing to add.
Ball don’t lie.
So anyway, Garnett winds up getting a technical along with Frye, then KG gets another technical and is tossed. Perkins and Nate also get T’s. All because Garnett decided to wap Channing Frye in his bathing suit area. Now, it wasn’t a full-thrown punch, which would lead to all sorts of trouble, but this still isn’t good. Garnett made contact with a shooter as he was coming down. That’s bad. But hitting him in the man parts? That’s going to make Stu Jackson and the league very uncomfortable. A suspension wouldn’t be a shocker, even with Celtics-Lakers on Sunday.
But it’s probably not worth it. Garnett did appear to be looking at the (basket)ball, and the contact likely wasn’t enough to warrant a suspension two days from such a huge game. But then again, this is the same league who suspends players for getting up and walking towards an incident if they’re on the bench. Not exactly rule benders up in Secaucus.
Big picture, this won’t do anything to help with the perception that Garnett is a cheap-shot artist and one who talks a big game but won’t back it up. Again, he makes inappropriate contact with a player, then when confronted, winds up backing away from the fight continuously. But that’s what Garnett should do: not get suspended. It’s just a perception thing. On the other hand…
Dude! Not cool!
(HT: NBA Facts and Rumors)
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32