Jan 29, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
So, in the midst of the Celtics’ abominable debacle against the Suns last night (hello, back-to-backs), things kind of got out of hand. Doc Rivers was tossed for continually arguing calls. The Celtics were getting rolled by the Suns, and then, well, this happened.
As to whether or not this was a foul, I only have one thing to add.
Ball don’t lie.
So anyway, Garnett winds up getting a technical along with Frye, then KG gets another technical and is tossed. Perkins and Nate also get T’s. All because Garnett decided to wap Channing Frye in his bathing suit area. Now, it wasn’t a full-thrown punch, which would lead to all sorts of trouble, but this still isn’t good. Garnett made contact with a shooter as he was coming down. That’s bad. But hitting him in the man parts? That’s going to make Stu Jackson and the league very uncomfortable. A suspension wouldn’t be a shocker, even with Celtics-Lakers on Sunday.
But it’s probably not worth it. Garnett did appear to be looking at the (basket)ball, and the contact likely wasn’t enough to warrant a suspension two days from such a huge game. But then again, this is the same league who suspends players for getting up and walking towards an incident if they’re on the bench. Not exactly rule benders up in Secaucus.
Big picture, this won’t do anything to help with the perception that Garnett is a cheap-shot artist and one who talks a big game but won’t back it up. Again, he makes inappropriate contact with a player, then when confronted, winds up backing away from the fight continuously. But that’s what Garnett should do: not get suspended. It’s just a perception thing. On the other hand…
Dude! Not cool!
(HT: NBA Facts and Rumors)
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 8
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 32
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 25
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 14
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 52
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12