Jan 29, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
So, in the midst of the Celtics’ abominable debacle against the Suns last night (hello, back-to-backs), things kind of got out of hand. Doc Rivers was tossed for continually arguing calls. The Celtics were getting rolled by the Suns, and then, well, this happened.
As to whether or not this was a foul, I only have one thing to add.
Ball don’t lie.
So anyway, Garnett winds up getting a technical along with Frye, then KG gets another technical and is tossed. Perkins and Nate also get T’s. All because Garnett decided to wap Channing Frye in his bathing suit area. Now, it wasn’t a full-thrown punch, which would lead to all sorts of trouble, but this still isn’t good. Garnett made contact with a shooter as he was coming down. That’s bad. But hitting him in the man parts? That’s going to make Stu Jackson and the league very uncomfortable. A suspension wouldn’t be a shocker, even with Celtics-Lakers on Sunday.
But it’s probably not worth it. Garnett did appear to be looking at the (basket)ball, and the contact likely wasn’t enough to warrant a suspension two days from such a huge game. But then again, this is the same league who suspends players for getting up and walking towards an incident if they’re on the bench. Not exactly rule benders up in Secaucus.
Big picture, this won’t do anything to help with the perception that Garnett is a cheap-shot artist and one who talks a big game but won’t back it up. Again, he makes inappropriate contact with a player, then when confronted, winds up backing away from the fight continuously. But that’s what Garnett should do: not get suspended. It’s just a perception thing. On the other hand…
Dude! Not cool!
(HT: NBA Facts and Rumors)
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 44
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11