KG hits Channing Frye in the junk, gets ejected

Jan 29, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT

Boston Celtics v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

So, in the midst of the Celtics’ abominable debacle against the Suns last night (hello, back-to-backs), things kind of got out of hand. Doc Rivers was tossed for continually arguing calls. The Celtics were getting rolled by the Suns, and then, well, this happened.

As to whether or not this was a foul, I only have one thing to add.

Ball don’t lie.

So anyway, Garnett winds up getting a technical along with Frye, then KG gets another technical and is tossed. Perkins and Nate also get T’s. All because Garnett decided to wap Channing Frye in his bathing suit area. Now, it wasn’t a full-thrown punch, which would lead to all sorts of trouble, but this still isn’t good. Garnett made contact with a shooter as he was coming down. That’s bad. But hitting him in the man parts? That’s going to make Stu Jackson and the league very uncomfortable. A suspension wouldn’t be a shocker, even with Celtics-Lakers on Sunday.

But it’s probably not worth it. Garnett did appear to be looking at the (basket)ball, and the contact likely wasn’t enough to warrant a suspension two days from such a huge game. But then again, this is the same league who suspends players for getting up and walking towards an incident if they’re on the bench. Not exactly rule benders up in Secaucus.

Big picture, this won’t do anything to help with the perception that Garnett is a cheap-shot artist and one who talks a big game but won’t back it up. Again, he makes inappropriate contact with a player, then when confronted, winds up backing away from the fight continuously. But that’s what Garnett should do: not get suspended. It’s just a perception thing. On the other hand…

Dude! Not cool!

(HT: NBA Facts and Rumors)

1. zackd2 - Jan 29, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Same old KG. Do you have video with tommy heinsohn as the announcer? I’m betting it would go something like: “AH! OMG REFS! LET THEM PLAY! *ah-ah-grumble-grumble-ah-ah NO FOUL! NO FOUL!”

Lets see KG try this on Howard or another big man who actually isn’t afraid to throw an elbow back

• pff - Jan 29, 2011 at 3:54 PM

good one zack…those C announcers are the worst

• zackd2 - Jan 30, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I understand all teams have “homers” for announcers, but Heinsohn takes it to another level.

2. zackd2 - Jan 29, 2011 at 10:05 AM

“Guys try to sell it with the referees. Guys fall down and act like they’re dead.” – Was Ray-Ray making fun about Frye or Paul Pierce’s hundreds of injuries?

3. dansullivan82 - Jan 29, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Chris Paul did the same thing in college,if Boston wins the the title this year all will be forgot.I cant believe how noone never hear mention of the Paul play and he gets credit for being one of the good young guys playing in the league.Both plays are totally unacceptable and I hope people remember how these guys act when the goin gets tough.

4. dirksimmons - Jan 29, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I just can’t cheer for this guy anymore. I used to be a huge Garnett fan, but he’s done way too much of this kind of stuff. I had to cheer for the Lakers last year in the Finals. And I hate the Lakers…

• jstrizzle - Jan 29, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I am with you on that. And this is coming from a Minnesota Timberwolves fan who at one point thought he was amazing before I wised up. His antics have moved him from my favorite player to my least favorite.

5. Colin Zvosec - Jan 29, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Im sorry, but KG knew EXACTLY what he was doing. He should be suspended at least 1 game.

6. goforthanddie - Jan 29, 2011 at 3:04 PM

I guess KG is a true “warrior” after all, he’s willing to take every advantage on the battlefield. Punk bitch.

7. zackd2 - Jan 29, 2011 at 3:12 PM

The first picture is great; KG trying to show off and be tough to Channing freakin’ Frye.

8. o2chaser - Jan 29, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Does anyone care that Channing Frye instigated this? I like how everyone labels KG as the “dirty player” or the “bad guy”. KG always backs down? Please. He stood toe to toe. Everytime he gets into it people say the same thing. What is he supposed to do? Punch him in the throat and be suspended for the rest of the season? If people say KG backed down on this then Frye did too. These comments and article made me sign up with word press just to defend the guy. People hating on KG are beyond ignorant. On the play itself, he barley touched Frye. Frye falls down like he really got nailed in the Junk. Then he gets up and gets in KG’s face. Yeah it must have really hurt. Doc Rivers made the correct assesment – people do this all the time within the game. It just so happened KG turned his head and hit that area. People should be more upset over Frye’s actions then KG’s.

• jstrizzle - Jan 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Then watch the video again because KG is watching Frye as he hits him. KG is a useless cheap shot. It doesn’t take that hard a hit in the nuts to go down. It may not look that viscous in slow motion but it is still contact. Maybe he did fake some but still why is he aiming for the nuts or stomach? That is why he is a cheap shot.

• zackd2 - Jan 30, 2011 at 10:14 AM

“People should be more upset over Frye’s actions then KG’s.”

If Frye got up and knocked KG out it would have been 100% understandable. No, men don’t hit other men in the junk. Plain & simple.

9. Chris Ross - Jan 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I think this is finally the thing that makes people realize what a bad person Garnett really is. I was just disgusted by this act when I was watching the highlights last night. I wonder who’s still giving a pass to Kevin Garnett on all the bad things he does as a player. I guess I’m a bit biased because I’ve never liked KG, but most of that comes from his actions on the court. I’m not a big proponent of sportsmanship and all that stuff, but Garnett just is a heartless individual and he proved it to all of us with what he did to Channing Frye.

10. o2chaser - Jan 29, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Really Chris Ross? A bad person? Heartless? Wow you can make Profound judgements over BASKETBALL. I wonder what type of judgements you make in your everyday life. Way to go and spread the hate. I dont exactly like certain players, but I dont judge them as a bad people. I think your comment shows a lot about you. I am disgusted by comments like that.

11. truprof - Jan 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Along with hitting Fye in the junk, KG also stepped into the area where Frye’s feet would land after the shot, thus putting Frye at risk of serious injury. This isn’t some clumsy oaf who can’t control where he’s going. It’s KG, seasoned athlete and NBA veteran, who knows EXACTLY where he is and what he is doing. It was a punk move by a punk bitch!

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches