Kevin Garnett won’t be suspended for hitting Channing Frye in the junk, because that makes sense

Jan 29, 2011, 5:42 PM EDT

Utah Jazz v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports reports that Kevin Garnett will not be suspended for tapping Channing Frye in the groin area Friday night.

I’m sorry, what?

Look, I get that Channing Frye probably sold this thing a little, and then popped up awful quick. And I understand that Garnett is a major star in a major market involved in a significant game Sunday that the league has a big investment in against the Lakers. I understand that he didn’t punch anyone, hit anyone in the head, or do any permanent damage.

But, dude.

Not cool. You can’t hit a guy in the junk and just walk away from it. Can’t do it. Let’s see if we can find the line between what is a suspension-worthy offense and what is not a suspension-worthy offense, according to the NBA powers that be.

I hate to keep bringing up the 2007 suspensions of Amar’e Stoudemire and Boris Diaw in the Western Conference Semifinals, but really, you can substitute any number of other offenses that guys have been suspended for which were not equal to tapping someone in the gentle parts on purpose during a game.

I wish I was a Celtic. If you applied these kinds of interpretations to real life I could get away with all sorts of stuff.

Garnett is expected to start Sunday against the Lakers.

1. zackd2 - Jan 29, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Ha, good job NBA. On the bright side fans won’t have to hear tommy heinsohn cry over the suspension.

2. Chris Ross - Jan 29, 2011 at 6:13 PM

My god, it’s not about hitting him in the junk. All over the news, I see all the headlines about Kevin Garnett hitting him in the family jewels. For goodness sakes, it’s about the fact that on 2 separate occasions he tried to injure him by sticking his foot under Frye before he landed. Bush league. You don’t even do that on the playground, like are you kidding me. ITS NOT ABOUT THE JUNK!

• passerby23 - Jan 29, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Look, we all know KG is known for getting in these skirmishes and irritating opposing players but neither the shot to the junk nor the foot under the landing are suspension worthy. The poke – which looked like it was aimed at his stomach and not his junk – was a dirty play, but not worthy of a suspension. I’m not convinced he slid under him to injure him. I think it looked more like a legitimate close-out with a cheap shot jab to the gut (which ended up hitting his junk).

3. jstrizzle - Jan 29, 2011 at 6:14 PM

I think he was just getting a feel for what should be there. Garnett is a gutless wonder. What a loser.

4. o2chaser - Jan 29, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Goodness people. I cant believe he even got ejected. A suspension? He barley touched him and the foot under him happens all the time to EVERYONE. Your jump shooters have all come down and rolled their ankle on plays like that. All this hate is hilarious. You watch something over and over again in slow motion you could come to many conclusions. The NBA will be sad place when KG is retired. One of kind. But keep the hate coming to KG. It makes for enjoyable reading. I guess ignorance is a common theme in all walks of life. Basketball fans and writers alike.

5. frankvzappa - Jan 29, 2011 at 9:55 PM

he didnt just walk away scot-free, he was suspended and Boston was hit with like a thousand technicals, ending any chance of a late big comeback…Frye is a crybaby…and besides, KG right afterward giving the international sign for “what’d i do?!” was too priceless to not be rewarded…

6. lunasceiling - Jan 30, 2011 at 2:33 AM

As much as I despise that punk Garnett, I have to agree with the people who are arguing that KG didn’t deserve a suspension. I don’t think the cheap shot was actually aimed at Frye’s junk, and he didn’t really blatantly undercut Frye, either. Having Garnett’s team get shellacked by my Suns was payback enough.

Besides, Frye can always get even the next time the teams meet and punch Garnett in the vagina.

7. brady2welker - Jan 30, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Garnett is
    Active!

8. fordman84 - Jan 31, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Jason Terry hits Finley in the noots and gets freakin’ suspended IN THE PLAYOFFS.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches