Jan 29, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
UPDATE SATURDAY 4:50 p.m. EST: Heat fans, you can exhale. An MRI came back negative for Wade’s elbow, and he’s listed as day-to-day. What that means for the Heat’s game against the Thunder Sunday is anyone’s guess, but at least it’s not time for abject panic.
So Dwyane Wade was ruled out of Friday night’s game against the Pistons, but that’s not the big concern.
No, the big concern is that team physician Dr. Harlan Selesnick ordered an MRI on Wade for Saturday. The Heat say it’s just precautionary. But then, that’s like saying the rising blood pressure of Heat fans is pre-emptive. Losing Wade for any extended period of time could be the difference between homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs and being on the road from the second round on. And while the Heat’s fanbase isn’t exactly rabid, avoiding places like Boston or Orlando for a Game 7 is important.
Meanwhile, Chris Bosh remains out for another game with his ankle, and LeBron James gave them a scare in the second quarter after taking a knee to the head. This is a team dependent upon three players for 90% of their production. Losing one member is enough for things like “losing to the Knicks” to happen. But losing two of the Big 3 is desperately severe, though not severe enough for them to lose to the Pistons, apparently.
Again, the MRI is precautionary, but should Wade have anything significant, the full blown panic would be on in South Beach, and much joy would spread throughout the land of Heat haters. We’ll keep you updated.
- George Hill not yet cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks, remains a game-time decision 0
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 14
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 9
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 38
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay