Jan 29, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
UPDATE SATURDAY 4:50 p.m. EST: Heat fans, you can exhale. An MRI came back negative for Wade’s elbow, and he’s listed as day-to-day. What that means for the Heat’s game against the Thunder Sunday is anyone’s guess, but at least it’s not time for abject panic.
So Dwyane Wade was ruled out of Friday night’s game against the Pistons, but that’s not the big concern.
No, the big concern is that team physician Dr. Harlan Selesnick ordered an MRI on Wade for Saturday. The Heat say it’s just precautionary. But then, that’s like saying the rising blood pressure of Heat fans is pre-emptive. Losing Wade for any extended period of time could be the difference between homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs and being on the road from the second round on. And while the Heat’s fanbase isn’t exactly rabid, avoiding places like Boston or Orlando for a Game 7 is important.
Meanwhile, Chris Bosh remains out for another game with his ankle, and LeBron James gave them a scare in the second quarter after taking a knee to the head. This is a team dependent upon three players for 90% of their production. Losing one member is enough for things like “losing to the Knicks” to happen. But losing two of the Big 3 is desperately severe, though not severe enough for them to lose to the Pistons, apparently.
Again, the MRI is precautionary, but should Wade have anything significant, the full blown panic would be on in South Beach, and much joy would spread throughout the land of Heat haters. We’ll keep you updated.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11