Jan 29, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
UPDATE SATURDAY 4:50 p.m. EST: Heat fans, you can exhale. An MRI came back negative for Wade’s elbow, and he’s listed as day-to-day. What that means for the Heat’s game against the Thunder Sunday is anyone’s guess, but at least it’s not time for abject panic.
So Dwyane Wade was ruled out of Friday night’s game against the Pistons, but that’s not the big concern.
No, the big concern is that team physician Dr. Harlan Selesnick ordered an MRI on Wade for Saturday. The Heat say it’s just precautionary. But then, that’s like saying the rising blood pressure of Heat fans is pre-emptive. Losing Wade for any extended period of time could be the difference between homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs and being on the road from the second round on. And while the Heat’s fanbase isn’t exactly rabid, avoiding places like Boston or Orlando for a Game 7 is important.
Meanwhile, Chris Bosh remains out for another game with his ankle, and LeBron James gave them a scare in the second quarter after taking a knee to the head. This is a team dependent upon three players for 90% of their production. Losing one member is enough for things like “losing to the Knicks” to happen. But losing two of the Big 3 is desperately severe, though not severe enough for them to lose to the Pistons, apparently.
Again, the MRI is precautionary, but should Wade have anything significant, the full blown panic would be on in South Beach, and much joy would spread throughout the land of Heat haters. We’ll keep you updated.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61