Jan 29, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
In last night’s fracas-filled loss to the Hawks, Amar’e Stoudemire had a pretty scary moment. Marvin Williams, who would later be the culprit in the fight, accidentally landed and rolled up under his knee. In case you hadn’t heard, any time you hear the words Amar’e and “knee,” Knicks fans start spasming uncontrollably. Amar’e walked off and seemed to be fine, he wound up finishing the game. But as is so often with injuries, they got worse after the game and tightened up.
Now Frank Isola of The New York Daily News reports that Stoudemire suffered a sprained knee and is questionable Sunday for the Knicks game versus Detroit.
Losing Stoudemire for any time, at all, puts a significant clamp on the Knicks’ chances of winning. Even when Stoudemire is playing, the Knicks haven’t been great lately, and the Pistons are playing their best ball of the season (although still losing largely because their coach has about as much of the team’s faith as Natalie Portman has the faith of Academy Award voters for her performance in “No Strings Attached”*). The Knicks had a huge win against a short-handed Heat team Thursday, but after the loss to the Hawks last night, and with Amar’e possibly out or limited Sunday, a losing streak could be in their future.
Homecourt advantage in the playoffs seems to get further and further away with every week for the Knicks.
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 8
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 5
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 25
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 13
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (50)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)