Jan 29, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
In last night’s fracas-filled loss to the Hawks, Amar’e Stoudemire had a pretty scary moment. Marvin Williams, who would later be the culprit in the fight, accidentally landed and rolled up under his knee. In case you hadn’t heard, any time you hear the words Amar’e and “knee,” Knicks fans start spasming uncontrollably. Amar’e walked off and seemed to be fine, he wound up finishing the game. But as is so often with injuries, they got worse after the game and tightened up.
Now Frank Isola of The New York Daily News reports that Stoudemire suffered a sprained knee and is questionable Sunday for the Knicks game versus Detroit.
Losing Stoudemire for any time, at all, puts a significant clamp on the Knicks’ chances of winning. Even when Stoudemire is playing, the Knicks haven’t been great lately, and the Pistons are playing their best ball of the season (although still losing largely because their coach has about as much of the team’s faith as Natalie Portman has the faith of Academy Award voters for her performance in “No Strings Attached”*). The Knicks had a huge win against a short-handed Heat team Thursday, but after the loss to the Hawks last night, and with Amar’e possibly out or limited Sunday, a losing streak could be in their future.
Homecourt advantage in the playoffs seems to get further and further away with every week for the Knicks.
- PBT Extra: Mike Conley changes series, but Warriors will start to hit shots again 0
- Last summer Blake Griffin talked to Tim Duncan about leadership 4
- PBT Extra: Will anyone step up and be third scorer for Cavaliers in Game 2? 11
- Doc Rivers on whether Chris Paul plays in Game 2 vs. Rockets: ‘Right now, I just don’t think so’ 3
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 18
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 6
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 3