Jan 29, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
In last night’s fracas-filled loss to the Hawks, Amar’e Stoudemire had a pretty scary moment. Marvin Williams, who would later be the culprit in the fight, accidentally landed and rolled up under his knee. In case you hadn’t heard, any time you hear the words Amar’e and “knee,” Knicks fans start spasming uncontrollably. Amar’e walked off and seemed to be fine, he wound up finishing the game. But as is so often with injuries, they got worse after the game and tightened up.
Now Frank Isola of The New York Daily News reports that Stoudemire suffered a sprained knee and is questionable Sunday for the Knicks game versus Detroit.
Losing Stoudemire for any time, at all, puts a significant clamp on the Knicks’ chances of winning. Even when Stoudemire is playing, the Knicks haven’t been great lately, and the Pistons are playing their best ball of the season (although still losing largely because their coach has about as much of the team’s faith as Natalie Portman has the faith of Academy Award voters for her performance in “No Strings Attached”*). The Knicks had a huge win against a short-handed Heat team Thursday, but after the loss to the Hawks last night, and with Amar’e possibly out or limited Sunday, a losing streak could be in their future.
Homecourt advantage in the playoffs seems to get further and further away with every week for the Knicks.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 36
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 62
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 33
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 76