Jan 29, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
In last night’s fracas-filled loss to the Hawks, Amar’e Stoudemire had a pretty scary moment. Marvin Williams, who would later be the culprit in the fight, accidentally landed and rolled up under his knee. In case you hadn’t heard, any time you hear the words Amar’e and “knee,” Knicks fans start spasming uncontrollably. Amar’e walked off and seemed to be fine, he wound up finishing the game. But as is so often with injuries, they got worse after the game and tightened up.
Now Frank Isola of The New York Daily News reports that Stoudemire suffered a sprained knee and is questionable Sunday for the Knicks game versus Detroit.
Losing Stoudemire for any time, at all, puts a significant clamp on the Knicks’ chances of winning. Even when Stoudemire is playing, the Knicks haven’t been great lately, and the Pistons are playing their best ball of the season (although still losing largely because their coach has about as much of the team’s faith as Natalie Portman has the faith of Academy Award voters for her performance in “No Strings Attached”*). The Knicks had a huge win against a short-handed Heat team Thursday, but after the loss to the Hawks last night, and with Amar’e possibly out or limited Sunday, a losing streak could be in their future.
Homecourt advantage in the playoffs seems to get further and further away with every week for the Knicks.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 0
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 4
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8