Jan 28, 2011, 8:05 PM EST
According to the Associated Press, Derrick Rose will play against the Magic tonight, despite two painful ulcers in his stomach:
All-Star point guard Derrick Rose will play for the Chicago Bulls against the Orlando Magic on Friday despite two painful stomach ulcers.
Rose was still feeling discomfort but was planning to “fight through it.”
He started experiencing heartburn on Monday and still is having difficulty eating, drinking and swallowing. He initially thought he had a stomach flu, but doctors at Rush University Medical Center found two ulcers on Wednesday.
Rose has been in a bit of a shooting slump recently, going a combined 22-64 (34%) over the course of the Bulls’ last three games. If the ulcer has been causing him to shoot worse, the Magic’s defense won’t help matters — despite some issues with their perimeter defense recently, Dwight Howard and the Magic still allow less made baskets at the rim than any other team in the league. Still, Rose is an MVP candidate for a reason, and the Magic shouldn’t be surprised if Rose, ulcers and all, delivers a virtuoso performance on Friday night.
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 4
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 10
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 5
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’ 15
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 18