Jan 28, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
The Hawks didn’t bring in Damien Wilkins as a legacy, they brought him in because they thought he could play. And they liked what they have seen.
Wilkins is the nephew of Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins (and son of former NBA player Gerald Wilkins). He also played his college ball at Georgia, so he has a few connections to the team.
The 6’6” swingman has played about 12 minutes a game in 20 games for the Hawks this season. He came in to Atlanta in early December, but they let him go in January so his contract did not become guaranteed. Since then the Hawks have signed him to two 10-day contracts, but with the second of those up the Hawks had to sign him or let him walk.
Wilkins has bounced around in the NBA for seven seasons now and is 31 years old.
- Nets defense smothers Raptors, gets Brooklyn Game 1 win on road 0
- PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round? 5
- All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place 0
- Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 27
- Craig Sager has acute leukemia 28