Jan 28, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
The Hawks didn’t bring in Damien Wilkins as a legacy, they brought him in because they thought he could play. And they liked what they have seen.
Wilkins is the nephew of Hawks legend Dominique Wilkins (and son of former NBA player Gerald Wilkins). He also played his college ball at Georgia, so he has a few connections to the team.
The 6’6” swingman has played about 12 minutes a game in 20 games for the Hawks this season. He came in to Atlanta in early December, but they let him go in January so his contract did not become guaranteed. Since then the Hawks have signed him to two 10-day contracts, but with the second of those up the Hawks had to sign him or let him walk.
Wilkins has bounced around in the NBA for seven seasons now and is 31 years old.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31