Jan 28, 2011, 10:12 AM EST
At some point in the third quarter of Boston’s win in Portland Thursday, Paul Pierce hurt his knee.
It’s not that serious — he played seven minutes of the fourth quarter after the injury — and he thinks it’s just a bruise, but if there is swelling Pierce could miss the Celtics game against the Suns Friday night. You can bet that short of leg amputation he will be ready to go Sunday against the Lakers.
His quotes to the Boston Globe make it sound like Celtics fans should not be worried.
“It just felt a little sore there in the fourth,” Pierce said. “I think it’s just a knee bruise. It just sort of wore on me as the game went on. It’s just stuff that happens throughout the course of a game – banging knees, turning ankles. That’s all it was.”
“Hopefully it doesn’t swell up too much,” Pierce said. “It swelled up a little bit, but not too bad. Hopefully, it’ll be all right for tomorrow.”
For the record, the Celtics are officially calling this a thigh injury. But if the guy with the injury says knee, we’ll go with knee.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 3
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 32
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (57)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)