Jan 28, 2011, 10:12 AM EDT
At some point in the third quarter of Boston’s win in Portland Thursday, Paul Pierce hurt his knee.
It’s not that serious — he played seven minutes of the fourth quarter after the injury — and he thinks it’s just a bruise, but if there is swelling Pierce could miss the Celtics game against the Suns Friday night. You can bet that short of leg amputation he will be ready to go Sunday against the Lakers.
His quotes to the Boston Globe make it sound like Celtics fans should not be worried.
“It just felt a little sore there in the fourth,” Pierce said. “I think it’s just a knee bruise. It just sort of wore on me as the game went on. It’s just stuff that happens throughout the course of a game – banging knees, turning ankles. That’s all it was.”
“Hopefully it doesn’t swell up too much,” Pierce said. “It swelled up a little bit, but not too bad. Hopefully, it’ll be all right for tomorrow.”
For the record, the Celtics are officially calling this a thigh injury. But if the guy with the injury says knee, we’ll go with knee.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 16
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10