Jan 28, 2011, 10:12 AM EDT
At some point in the third quarter of Boston’s win in Portland Thursday, Paul Pierce hurt his knee.
It’s not that serious — he played seven minutes of the fourth quarter after the injury — and he thinks it’s just a bruise, but if there is swelling Pierce could miss the Celtics game against the Suns Friday night. You can bet that short of leg amputation he will be ready to go Sunday against the Lakers.
His quotes to the Boston Globe make it sound like Celtics fans should not be worried.
“It just felt a little sore there in the fourth,” Pierce said. “I think it’s just a knee bruise. It just sort of wore on me as the game went on. It’s just stuff that happens throughout the course of a game – banging knees, turning ankles. That’s all it was.”
“Hopefully it doesn’t swell up too much,” Pierce said. “It swelled up a little bit, but not too bad. Hopefully, it’ll be all right for tomorrow.”
For the record, the Celtics are officially calling this a thigh injury. But if the guy with the injury says knee, we’ll go with knee.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron his shots despite good Celtics defense 1
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 24
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 31
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 65