Jan 28, 2011, 10:12 AM EDT
At some point in the third quarter of Boston’s win in Portland Thursday, Paul Pierce hurt his knee.
It’s not that serious — he played seven minutes of the fourth quarter after the injury — and he thinks it’s just a bruise, but if there is swelling Pierce could miss the Celtics game against the Suns Friday night. You can bet that short of leg amputation he will be ready to go Sunday against the Lakers.
His quotes to the Boston Globe make it sound like Celtics fans should not be worried.
“It just felt a little sore there in the fourth,” Pierce said. “I think it’s just a knee bruise. It just sort of wore on me as the game went on. It’s just stuff that happens throughout the course of a game – banging knees, turning ankles. That’s all it was.”
“Hopefully it doesn’t swell up too much,” Pierce said. “It swelled up a little bit, but not too bad. Hopefully, it’ll be all right for tomorrow.”
For the record, the Celtics are officially calling this a thigh injury. But if the guy with the injury says knee, we’ll go with knee.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11