Jan 28, 2011, 12:40 AM EDT
We were ready to pour out a 40 for the career of Jason Williams, but that guy has more lives than that famous movie Jason with the stylish hockey mask.
Just after being waived by the Orlando Magic — where he was buried on the depth chart — he has had talks about joining the Memphis Grizzlies, according to the Commercial Appeal. Memphis thinks he would bring steadier play behind Mike Conley.
The talks are serious and apparently the only thing that can derail it is a contender reaching out to Williams.
The conversations with Memphis were taking place before the 10-game suspension of O.J. Mayo, but that has put some urgency behind the moves. Apparently Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley has always been a fan of Williams and was not happy that Jerry West traded him six years ago from Memphis to Miami.
This is not a 10-day contract, this would be for the rest of the season.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14