Jan 28, 2011, 12:40 AM EST
We were ready to pour out a 40 for the career of Jason Williams, but that guy has more lives than that famous movie Jason with the stylish hockey mask.
Just after being waived by the Orlando Magic — where he was buried on the depth chart — he has had talks about joining the Memphis Grizzlies, according to the Commercial Appeal. Memphis thinks he would bring steadier play behind Mike Conley.
The talks are serious and apparently the only thing that can derail it is a contender reaching out to Williams.
The conversations with Memphis were taking place before the 10-game suspension of O.J. Mayo, but that has put some urgency behind the moves. Apparently Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley has always been a fan of Williams and was not happy that Jerry West traded him six years ago from Memphis to Miami.
This is not a 10-day contract, this would be for the rest of the season.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 5
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0