Jan 28, 2011, 12:40 AM EDT
We were ready to pour out a 40 for the career of Jason Williams, but that guy has more lives than that famous movie Jason with the stylish hockey mask.
Just after being waived by the Orlando Magic — where he was buried on the depth chart — he has had talks about joining the Memphis Grizzlies, according to the Commercial Appeal. Memphis thinks he would bring steadier play behind Mike Conley.
The talks are serious and apparently the only thing that can derail it is a contender reaching out to Williams.
The conversations with Memphis were taking place before the 10-game suspension of O.J. Mayo, but that has put some urgency behind the moves. Apparently Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley has always been a fan of Williams and was not happy that Jerry West traded him six years ago from Memphis to Miami.
This is not a 10-day contract, this would be for the rest of the season.
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 6
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 13
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 19
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 52
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5