Jan 28, 2011, 2:26 AM EST
What you missed while getting ready for the Angry Birds television series….
Knicks 93, Heat 88: It seems weird to say this, but the Knicks won this with defense. They clearly came in with a plan to focus on LeBron James, not let him beat them. He finished with 24 points but on 7-of-24 shooting.
NBA teams can usually take away one option of the opposition when they focus on it. The problem for the Heat is that without Chris Bosh serving as a hub for their offense, working things inside-out, the sets have become listless. There was far too much isolation, not enough ball movement. And not enough transition, which is foolish considering the Heat had gone with small ball. Dwyane Wade adjusted better with 34 points on 22 shots.
The Knicks were struggling plenty as well — they shot 36 percent for the contest — but in the fourth quarter their threes started falling, including a shot by Landry Fields to seal the victory. Under pressure the Knicks adjusted to the sloppy game better.
The energy at MSG for games like this is unmatched. Can’t wait to see playoff games there.
Mavericks 111, Rockets 106: Exactly what you expect from Dallas — Tyson Chandler leading the way with 21 and seven guys in double digits.
This looked like a cakewalk with Dallas up 18 after one and 22 early in the third. Then the Rockets came back on a huge run to make a game of it. Luis Scola played like it was a FIBA game and dropped 30. Then just like it was against the Clippers a couple nights ago, it was J.J. Barea that changed things with his energy off the bench. Barea had 10 in the fourth quarter and Dallas held off the Rockets.
Boston 88, Portland 78: The Trail Blazers are really struggling to score and this would have been a blowout had it not been for the 19 Celtics turnovers. With the injuries the Blazers just can’t score enough, especially with a Celtics defense that made it a rough night for LaMarcus Aldridge. Portland shot just 37 percent overall and 25 percent from three.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 8
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 6
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 47
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45