Jan 27, 2011, 7:15 PM EST
UPDATE (7:15 PM EST): It appears Wade won’t be wearing dark glasses after all. According to the Associated Press, the goggles Wade was planning to wear have been deemed a “competitive advantage” by the league office, and will not be allowed for tonight’s game. I don’t see how wearing sunglasses at night really tips the scales for Wade and the Heat, but I guess there’s something shady (heyyyyo) in drowning out the bright lights. Wade went back to a red-tinted glasses to help with the glare issue. -Rob Mahoney
4:51 PM EST: Some of the game’s great players have been sidelined by migraines before. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, for one, but there have been many others.
Including Dwyane Wade, who missed last Saturday’s Heat game due to a migraine and has battled them for years. Tonight at Madison Square Garden Wade will wear glasses designed to reduce glare from lights, one of the triggers and something migraine suffers complain about. That and the all-encompassing pain. Wade said he thinks the glasses could help his head, whether it helps his game or not is another question.
“I’ll feel the game out, see how I feel,” he said after Thursday morning’s shootaround. “At times throughout the game, of course, I’ll take them off, and if I feel like my eyes are adjusting well, my eyes are doing well, I may go without them. But I’m going to start the game (wearing them) for sure.”
Wade started wearing the glasses in practice a couple days ago and everyone on the Heat was very understanding and compassionate… or maybe they just mocked him like the nerd on a junior-high schoolyard. Mostly the latter, as apparently even coach Erik Spoelstra was laughing at his look the first day. And LeBron wasn’t going to pass up a chance to rib a friend, according to the Paul Beach Post.
Wade wore red-rimmed glasses that the Heat has laying around to protect his eyes from the light Monday, after a migraine caused him to miss Saturday’s game. Tuesday, Wade upgraded to some Oakleys.
And he had company.
“D-Wade is like a kid who just transferred schools, and they don’t have any friends,” James said. “So, you know, I felt like me putting on glasses today, I would help him get accustomed to the new school that we’ve got going on right now. I decided to join him, and I made him part of our little Boy Scout club we’ve got going.”
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 13
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 26
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 11
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2
- LeBron James on Cavaliers’ struggles: “I stink” 20