Skip to content

Phil Jackson confirms this is his last season

Jan 27, 2011, 11:49 AM EDT

Miami Heat v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Phil Jackson knows what you are thinking: If the Lakers don’t win it all he is coming back to do this one more time.

Nope, he’s done. Nobody seems to believe him, but that’s what he told Hannah Storm in an interview that will air Sunday when the Lakers take on the Celtics on ABC (a snippet of it is up at ESPNLosAngeles right now).

“Most everybody believes that I won’t fulfill this last stand promise and I will come back and coach again, but it really is (it). I want to do this for myself.”

If the Lakers hadn’t won the title last year, if he didn’t have a shot at a fourth three-peat, I don’t think he comes back this year. We’ll never know. Jackson does seem to have more fond memories of his time with the Bulls than the Lakers, but he’s not living in the past.

“I’m not a very nostalgic person… but most of the time I’m toasting my staff saying ‘This is the last time we’ll be in Cleveland.”

As for what’s next for Jackson? A night at the opera. No, not “A Night At the Opera.” I mean the actual opera. That’s what the man said. Go watch the interview.

  1. loungefly74 - Jan 27, 2011 at 12:58 PM

    It will be a sad day for us Laker fans when he finally does leave. The guy just has a knack for controlling egos…and winning. Phil, send us out in style!

  2. fouldwimmerlaik - Jan 27, 2011 at 1:49 PM

    I shall weep and mourn extensively. Please do not disturb me as I will be sitting in a dark room for at least nine months.

  3. veryrevvy - Jan 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM

    I will miss seeing Phil sitting on the coaching bench. He is one of a kind, a genius in his field and the Lakers, for sure, won’t be the same. I hope Phil succeeds in his quest to find peace and satisfaction outside of basketball. We, as Lakers fans, had a good run with the Zen. Thank you Phil and here’s to your last year as a Lakers coach – I hope it ends with purple and gold confettis streaming down the court and balloons with the word “three-peat” on them!

  4. florida727 - Jan 27, 2011 at 2:41 PM

    Part of me doesn’t want him to complete a fourth three-peat because as a Bulls fan I’d like the ‘majority’ of his titles to be from his days in Chicago. But he really does deserve one more. He’s been great for the game, and it would be great to see him leave on his terms AND on top.

  5. 1historian - Jan 27, 2011 at 4:03 PM

    He is without a doubt one of the all-time great coaches, but we probably wouldn’t even know who he is now were it not for the fact that back in 1987 Jerry Krause gave him a chance when Jackson was just a nobody. KRAUSE was the ONLY one who thought Jackson had what it took.

    And he was right.

    While I’m at it – Michael Jordan was there when Krause got to Chicago in 1986. The Bulls won their first championship in 1991. With the exception of Jordan Krause was the guy who got EVERY SINGLE ONE of those players and coaches to Chicago.

    Between 1991 and 1998 the Bulls won 6 titles in 8 years. Between 1991 and 1998 there was a 83% turn-over on the team – 10 out of 12. Granted it doesn’t hurt when your remaining 17% are named Jordan and Pippen but that’s still a remarkable accomplishment.

    • willhnic - Jan 27, 2011 at 5:02 PM

      Don’t give Krause too much credit. He is also the reason they didn’t 4 or 5 peat the second time. Everyone signficant left because of Kruase. Plus…I have no doubt Jackson and Jordan helped with the recruitment.

      While I enjoyed Phil Jackson as a coach, I have had less and less love for him over the years. I guess I don’t see eye to eye with him on a few issues regarding Kobe vs. Jordan. But he is entitled to his opinion and I wish him the best.

  6. 1historian - Jan 27, 2011 at 4:05 PM

    “A Night At The Opera” indeed – Skip the interview and watch the movie.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Featured video

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Love (4592)
  2. L. James (3500)
  3. A. Wiggins (3464)
  4. R. Allen (3338)
  5. E. Bledsoe (3026)
  1. K. Bryant (2913)
  2. D. Rose (2829)
  3. L. Stephenson (2428)
  4. C. Boozer (2421)
  5. K. Marshall (2399)