Jan 27, 2011, 8:56 PM EDT
One of my theories in life is it’s good to know rich people. Because sometimes they can help you out when things seem pretty hopeless.
Like if you owed the IRS $120,000 to the Internal Revenue Service and weren’t sure how to pay it. That’s the spot former NBA and Miami Heat star Tim Hardaway found himself in, but he knew the rich people that own the Heat. We’ll let the Detroit News explain what happened.
Hardaway, 44, ran into tax trouble in June despite being paid more than $46.6 million during his NBA career. The IRS filed a tax lien against his property and the bill listed his 7,542-square-foot mansion in suburban Miami
On Sept. 3, three months after the lien was filed, Hardaway sold the mansion to Miami Heat Limited Partnership, which owns the Miami Heat….
The Heat paid $1.985 million, according to public records. Today, the Heat is trying to sell the five-bedroom, five-and-a-half-bath estate, which comes with a pool and private basketball court decorated with a Miami Heat logo, for $2.5 million.
Hardaway would not say why the Heat purchased the home. Meanwhile, Hardaway still lives in the house while they try to find a buyer.
I have no idea what Hardaway’s financial situation is, but if he is hurting for cash he would be far from the first pro athlete to make unseemly amounts of bank then be hurting financially within a decade. It happens more often than you think.
Hopefully that’s not Hardaway, he said he was good financially despite the tax lien. He works as a radio color commentator for a network that broadcasts Big 10 college games.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 8
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 46
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43