Jan 27, 2011, 3:21 PM EDT
Madison Square Garden remains one of the iconic buildings in the NBA. It’s New York — Concrete jungle where dreams are made of. Visitors get pumped up to play there — which for a long time meant guys like Kobe Bryant were going to drop a big number on the hapless Knicks.
The Knicks are respectable again, which makes it even more fun to play at the Garden. Tonight it is the Miami Heat’s turn again — and count LeBron James and Dwyane Wade as those who are pumped, as reported at ESPN’s Heat Index.
“It’s everything,” James said. “It’s everything that comes with it. It’s the history. It’s the crowd. It’s the atmosphere. It’s the Mecca of basketball. As kids, you always want to be able to play in the Garden. In my eight years and D. Wade’s eight years, it’s been great.”
It’s the best building in the best city in the world… but that wasn’t enough for James to sign there. Sorry, little tangent, done beating that dead horse for now. Thanks for indulging.
The Heat have been off for three days, so they were asked if there was any rust to shake off.
“No rust. We needed the rest and we’re going to miss some shots. We’re going to be a little bit tired early. That’s a part of basketball. But there’s not going to be rust going into the Garden. Our energy and our adrenaline will be going and we’re not going to come out and hit every shot. We’re going to miss some but we’re going to hit some as well, so –“
James interrupted Wade.
“Plus, we’ve got two guys playing on our team that really enjoy playing in that building,” James deadpanned. “I don’t know where they are right now, but we’ve got two guys on this team who thrive on playing in the Garden so I don’t think we’ll be rusty.”
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32