Jan 27, 2011, 3:21 PM EDT
Madison Square Garden remains one of the iconic buildings in the NBA. It’s New York — Concrete jungle where dreams are made of. Visitors get pumped up to play there — which for a long time meant guys like Kobe Bryant were going to drop a big number on the hapless Knicks.
The Knicks are respectable again, which makes it even more fun to play at the Garden. Tonight it is the Miami Heat’s turn again — and count LeBron James and Dwyane Wade as those who are pumped, as reported at ESPN’s Heat Index.
“It’s everything,” James said. “It’s everything that comes with it. It’s the history. It’s the crowd. It’s the atmosphere. It’s the Mecca of basketball. As kids, you always want to be able to play in the Garden. In my eight years and D. Wade’s eight years, it’s been great.”
It’s the best building in the best city in the world… but that wasn’t enough for James to sign there. Sorry, little tangent, done beating that dead horse for now. Thanks for indulging.
The Heat have been off for three days, so they were asked if there was any rust to shake off.
“No rust. We needed the rest and we’re going to miss some shots. We’re going to be a little bit tired early. That’s a part of basketball. But there’s not going to be rust going into the Garden. Our energy and our adrenaline will be going and we’re not going to come out and hit every shot. We’re going to miss some but we’re going to hit some as well, so –”
James interrupted Wade.
“Plus, we’ve got two guys playing on our team that really enjoy playing in that building,” James deadpanned. “I don’t know where they are right now, but we’ve got two guys on this team who thrive on playing in the Garden so I don’t think we’ll be rusty.”
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 26
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games