Jan 27, 2011, 1:12 PM EDT
Is there anything as cool as watching an NBA player run some drills and dribble around cones? Of course, not. What could be?
The NBA All-Star Skills Challenge returns to help people fall asleep on Friday night, Feb. 17, but the twist this year is that you and your fellow fans get to pick the participants. Well, four of the five. Chris Paul gets in automatically because, well, he should. Guy has won this event three times and his skills are ridiculous.
The other four participants will be chosen by fan vote (just click here) among these eight candidates:
• Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
• Baron Davis (Los Angeles Clippers)
• Tyreke Evans (Sacramento Kings)
• Derek Fisher (Los Angeles Lakers)
• Tony Parker (San Antonio Spurs)
• Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls)
• John Wall (Washington Wizards)
• Russell Westbrook (Oklahoma City Thunder)
If you vote for Fisher over any of those other guys I am going to come over to your house and force you — Clockwork Orange style — to watch tapes of Fisher running the fast break with Ron Artest until Fisher’s skill level is burned into your brain.
(By the way, there is nothing more amusing in the league right now than the Fisher/Artest breaks the Lakers seem to get a lot of. You know the bad decision is coming but you never know from where.)
Voting runs now through Feb. 14 at NBA.com/chooseyoursquad. The Skills Challenge is part of All-Star Weekend, which takes place at the Staples Center from Feb. 17-20. But if you miss the Friday night part it’s okay, we won’t tell anyone.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 33
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 35
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 16
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26