Jan 27, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
UPDATE 4:00 pm: Rose, it turns out, has two small ulcers, both discovered after a fun day at the hospital. Well, not fun for Rose but the doctors probably thought it was cool to have him there. He’s on medication and his status for Friday will be decided close to game time.
Rose spoke with ESPN Chicago and said he was not sure if he could go.
“I haven’t really been able to eat anything so my energy is kind of low, but every day it should be all right,” he said. “I guess I’ve been eating too much spicy food or something like that, because I love spicy food. But other than that I think I’ve been eating well, besides the spicy food.
“I’m going to have to watch a lot of things I eat now. [Doctors] gave me a list, there’s a lot of things on it.”
2: 37 pm: Apparently all this worry about whether or not fans voted him in as an All-Star Game starter has really gotten to Derrick Rose.
We kid, we kid, but he is battling a stomach ulcer, according to a tweet from K.C.Johnson of the Chicago Tribune. He adds Rose wants to play Friday but has not been able to eat. He did not take part in Thursday’s Bulls practice.
How did they find out it was an ulcer? They put a camera down his throat and looked, of course. Which is both amazingly cool technology and disgusting at the same time.
Rose told the USA Today he started to notice stomach pain on Monday but thought it was heartburn or the flu.
An ulcer is a sore on the stomach lining, caused by an imbalance of digestive fluids. You can get that imbalance in any number of ways, from taking aspirin too often to bacteria. This is easily treatable with medications.
How fast the medicine works and how fast Rose can eat may determine if he plays Friday against the Magic and Saturday against the Pacers (both in Chicago).
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 4
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 12
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 28
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)