Jan 27, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:00 pm: Rose, it turns out, has two small ulcers, both discovered after a fun day at the hospital. Well, not fun for Rose but the doctors probably thought it was cool to have him there. He’s on medication and his status for Friday will be decided close to game time.
Rose spoke with ESPN Chicago and said he was not sure if he could go.
“I haven’t really been able to eat anything so my energy is kind of low, but every day it should be all right,” he said. “I guess I’ve been eating too much spicy food or something like that, because I love spicy food. But other than that I think I’ve been eating well, besides the spicy food.
“I’m going to have to watch a lot of things I eat now. [Doctors] gave me a list, there’s a lot of things on it.”
2: 37 pm: Apparently all this worry about whether or not fans voted him in as an All-Star Game starter has really gotten to Derrick Rose.
We kid, we kid, but he is battling a stomach ulcer, according to a tweet from K.C.Johnson of the Chicago Tribune. He adds Rose wants to play Friday but has not been able to eat. He did not take part in Thursday’s Bulls practice.
How did they find out it was an ulcer? They put a camera down his throat and looked, of course. Which is both amazingly cool technology and disgusting at the same time.
Rose told the USA Today he started to notice stomach pain on Monday but thought it was heartburn or the flu.
An ulcer is a sore on the stomach lining, caused by an imbalance of digestive fluids. You can get that imbalance in any number of ways, from taking aspirin too often to bacteria. This is easily treatable with medications.
How fast the medicine works and how fast Rose can eat may determine if he plays Friday against the Magic and Saturday against the Pacers (both in Chicago).
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 6
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 8
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 28
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 26