Jan 27, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:00 pm: Rose, it turns out, has two small ulcers, both discovered after a fun day at the hospital. Well, not fun for Rose but the doctors probably thought it was cool to have him there. He’s on medication and his status for Friday will be decided close to game time.
Rose spoke with ESPN Chicago and said he was not sure if he could go.
“I haven’t really been able to eat anything so my energy is kind of low, but every day it should be all right,” he said. “I guess I’ve been eating too much spicy food or something like that, because I love spicy food. But other than that I think I’ve been eating well, besides the spicy food.
“I’m going to have to watch a lot of things I eat now. [Doctors] gave me a list, there’s a lot of things on it.”
2: 37 pm: Apparently all this worry about whether or not fans voted him in as an All-Star Game starter has really gotten to Derrick Rose.
We kid, we kid, but he is battling a stomach ulcer, according to a tweet from K.C.Johnson of the Chicago Tribune. He adds Rose wants to play Friday but has not been able to eat. He did not take part in Thursday’s Bulls practice.
How did they find out it was an ulcer? They put a camera down his throat and looked, of course. Which is both amazingly cool technology and disgusting at the same time.
Rose told the USA Today he started to notice stomach pain on Monday but thought it was heartburn or the flu.
An ulcer is a sore on the stomach lining, caused by an imbalance of digestive fluids. You can get that imbalance in any number of ways, from taking aspirin too often to bacteria. This is easily treatable with medications.
How fast the medicine works and how fast Rose can eat may determine if he plays Friday against the Magic and Saturday against the Pacers (both in Chicago).
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30