Jan 27, 2011, 7:15 PM EDT
The Timberwolves took Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio with the fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft, but he spent all of what would have been his rookie year in Spain. He doesn’t have any plans to come to the NBA this year, either, and a recent New York Times report suggested that Rubio may have no interest in ever playing for the team that drafted him and currently owns his rights.
Timberwolves GM David Kahn, however, is confident that Rubio will be wearing a Timberwolves jersey next season. Here’s the report, courtesy of Jerry Zgoda of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:
Wolves president of basketball operations David Kahn called a New York Times report this week on Ricky Rubio “much ado about nothing” and “not worthy of a response.”
The report quoted an unnamed source close to Rubio asking why the Spanish guard would ever play in Minnesota and stating the Wolves draft pick wants to play for Boston, New York or Miami when he decides to come to the NBA.
Kahn said he remains “absolutely” certain Rubio will join the Wolves next season after a buyout with his Regal Barcelona team becomes affordable.
So Rubio will probably agree to a buyout and become a T-Wolf next season, according to Kahn, even with a potential lockout looming. The Timberwolves had better hope that Rubio’s scoring struggles don’t follow him to the NBA, because the simple process of getting a top-five pick to play for the team that drafted him has already given Timberwolves fans plenty of headaches.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 40
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73