Jan 27, 2011, 7:15 PM EDT
The Timberwolves took Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio with the fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft, but he spent all of what would have been his rookie year in Spain. He doesn’t have any plans to come to the NBA this year, either, and a recent New York Times report suggested that Rubio may have no interest in ever playing for the team that drafted him and currently owns his rights.
Timberwolves GM David Kahn, however, is confident that Rubio will be wearing a Timberwolves jersey next season. Here’s the report, courtesy of Jerry Zgoda of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:
Wolves president of basketball operations David Kahn called a New York Times report this week on Ricky Rubio “much ado about nothing” and “not worthy of a response.”
The report quoted an unnamed source close to Rubio asking why the Spanish guard would ever play in Minnesota and stating the Wolves draft pick wants to play for Boston, New York or Miami when he decides to come to the NBA.
Kahn said he remains “absolutely” certain Rubio will join the Wolves next season after a buyout with his Regal Barcelona team becomes affordable.
So Rubio will probably agree to a buyout and become a T-Wolf next season, according to Kahn, even with a potential lockout looming. The Timberwolves had better hope that Rubio’s scoring struggles don’t follow him to the NBA, because the simple process of getting a top-five pick to play for the team that drafted him has already given Timberwolves fans plenty of headaches.
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 4
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 30
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 10
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34