Jan 27, 2011, 7:15 PM EDT
The Timberwolves took Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio with the fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft, but he spent all of what would have been his rookie year in Spain. He doesn’t have any plans to come to the NBA this year, either, and a recent New York Times report suggested that Rubio may have no interest in ever playing for the team that drafted him and currently owns his rights.
Timberwolves GM David Kahn, however, is confident that Rubio will be wearing a Timberwolves jersey next season. Here’s the report, courtesy of Jerry Zgoda of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:
Wolves president of basketball operations David Kahn called a New York Times report this week on Ricky Rubio “much ado about nothing” and “not worthy of a response.”
The report quoted an unnamed source close to Rubio asking why the Spanish guard would ever play in Minnesota and stating the Wolves draft pick wants to play for Boston, New York or Miami when he decides to come to the NBA.
Kahn said he remains “absolutely” certain Rubio will join the Wolves next season after a buyout with his Regal Barcelona team becomes affordable.
So Rubio will probably agree to a buyout and become a T-Wolf next season, according to Kahn, even with a potential lockout looming. The Timberwolves had better hope that Rubio’s scoring struggles don’t follow him to the NBA, because the simple process of getting a top-five pick to play for the team that drafted him has already given Timberwolves fans plenty of headaches.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4