Jan 27, 2011, 7:15 PM EDT
The Timberwolves took Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio with the fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft, but he spent all of what would have been his rookie year in Spain. He doesn’t have any plans to come to the NBA this year, either, and a recent New York Times report suggested that Rubio may have no interest in ever playing for the team that drafted him and currently owns his rights.
Timberwolves GM David Kahn, however, is confident that Rubio will be wearing a Timberwolves jersey next season. Here’s the report, courtesy of Jerry Zgoda of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:
Wolves president of basketball operations David Kahn called a New York Times report this week on Ricky Rubio “much ado about nothing” and “not worthy of a response.”
The report quoted an unnamed source close to Rubio asking why the Spanish guard would ever play in Minnesota and stating the Wolves draft pick wants to play for Boston, New York or Miami when he decides to come to the NBA.
Kahn said he remains “absolutely” certain Rubio will join the Wolves next season after a buyout with his Regal Barcelona team becomes affordable.
So Rubio will probably agree to a buyout and become a T-Wolf next season, according to Kahn, even with a potential lockout looming. The Timberwolves had better hope that Rubio’s scoring struggles don’t follow him to the NBA, because the simple process of getting a top-five pick to play for the team that drafted him has already given Timberwolves fans plenty of headaches.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 38
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?