Jan 26, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
Javaris Crittenton is getting another shot, this time in the D-League.
He has to be approved by the league but that is expected to happen, followed by Crittenton being picked up by the Dakota Wizards, according to Scott Schroeder at FanHouse.
It’s a road back to the league for a guy that showed a lot of promise when drafted in the first round back in 2007 by the Lakers.
In 2008, when the Lakers traded for (or stole outright, if you’re Mark Cuban) Pau Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies, the one minor lament in Lakersland was that Crittenton was going out the door. Crittenton showed a quick first step and some decent play for a rookie — it was possible to see him taking over for Derek Fisher when he retires in 2048.
(Turns out the lament should have been over Marc Gasol, but nobody had really seen him yet.)
It hasn’t really worked out that way for Crittenton. He saw little time for the Grizzlies then was traded from Memphis to Washington, where he played half a season. He missed the start of the 09-10 season due to injury then was the other guy in the Gilbert Arenas gun debacle, which led to him being suspended for the rest of last season. The Wizards then let him go.
The Charlotte Bobcats, needing some depth at the point this season after letting Raymond Felton go, brought Crittenton in to camp this year, but he did not make the squad. He played some in China but that did not end well.
When you’re a 6’5” point guard who is a fantastic athlete, you get extra chances to prove you can be consistent on the court and not a distraction off it. But Crittenton has just about used all his chances up. Let’s hope he makes the most of this one.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7