Jan 26, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
Javaris Crittenton is getting another shot, this time in the D-League.
He has to be approved by the league but that is expected to happen, followed by Crittenton being picked up by the Dakota Wizards, according to Scott Schroeder at FanHouse.
It’s a road back to the league for a guy that showed a lot of promise when drafted in the first round back in 2007 by the Lakers.
In 2008, when the Lakers traded for (or stole outright, if you’re Mark Cuban) Pau Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies, the one minor lament in Lakersland was that Crittenton was going out the door. Crittenton showed a quick first step and some decent play for a rookie — it was possible to see him taking over for Derek Fisher when he retires in 2048.
(Turns out the lament should have been over Marc Gasol, but nobody had really seen him yet.)
It hasn’t really worked out that way for Crittenton. He saw little time for the Grizzlies then was traded from Memphis to Washington, where he played half a season. He missed the start of the 09-10 season due to injury then was the other guy in the Gilbert Arenas gun debacle, which led to him being suspended for the rest of last season. The Wizards then let him go.
The Charlotte Bobcats, needing some depth at the point this season after letting Raymond Felton go, brought Crittenton in to camp this year, but he did not make the squad. He played some in China but that did not end well.
When you’re a 6’5” point guard who is a fantastic athlete, you get extra chances to prove you can be consistent on the court and not a distraction off it. But Crittenton has just about used all his chances up. Let’s hope he makes the most of this one.
- Report: Timberwolves make push to acquire Eric Bledsoe with max offer in sign-and-trade 0
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25