Jan 26, 2011, 10:40 AM EDT
If it weren’t for that whole “missing last season” thing, we’d have put a red cape on the back of Blake Griffin and be constructing a myth of invincibility around the man right now. I mean, we’ve seen him fly, so we can assume bullets bounce right off him, right?
Dallas’ Brendan Haywood put that to the test last night when he prevented another Griffin highlight dunk by gabbing Griffin’s arm and throwing him to the ground. Flagrant foul style.
Griffin came out of the game for a while, got a sleeve over his injured elbow and came back in.
The good news is post-game X-rays showed no damage (via Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times). It’s officially a left-elbow contusion. Just a bruise. Like you get when you bang your shin on the coffee table, except Griffin has to be flung to the floor to suffer such human maladies.
Griffin likely will play Wednesday night in Houston.
This is all good for Haywood, too. If he had kept Griffin out of the All-Star weekend Dunk Contest, he would have become public enemy No. 1 around the league.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 18
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona