Jan 25, 2011, 12:29 PM EDT
The Philadelphia 76ers are a better team than you think.
Back 16 games into the season, when the Sixers were 3-13, there was a lot of talk about roster shakeups. Remember Andre Iguodala getting dragged into the Carmelo Anthony trade morass? There were calls (and maybe plans) to get Iguodala and Elton Brand out of town and really start rebuilding.
That’s not the case now. No, they’ll not be scaring the likes of Boston or Miami, they keep finding ways to lose close games and blow late leads, but they are 19-25 and frankly better than their record shows. They have the point differential of a .500 team. Right now they are the seven seed in the East and climbing.
With that, the team is not making any major trades at the deadline, according to the Sporting News.
The playoff push has clearly lifted the Sixers’ outlook. According sources around the league, Philadelphia is not eager to make major roster changes now, and both Iguodala and Brand are all but certain to be with the team throughout this season.
That’s just fine with the players. “In the beginning of the year, we had new guys, we had a new coach, we weren’t really playing up to our ability,” said Brand, who is having his best season as a Sixer with averages of 15.0 points, 8.7 rebounds and 51.4 percent shooting from the field. “But we knew we were a better team than that. I think everyone here wanted a chance to show what we can do.”
There is a long, long way to go with this Sixers team. But they are not in a position where they need to be hasty with decisions, either.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25