Jan 25, 2011, 12:29 PM EDT
The Philadelphia 76ers are a better team than you think.
Back 16 games into the season, when the Sixers were 3-13, there was a lot of talk about roster shakeups. Remember Andre Iguodala getting dragged into the Carmelo Anthony trade morass? There were calls (and maybe plans) to get Iguodala and Elton Brand out of town and really start rebuilding.
That’s not the case now. No, they’ll not be scaring the likes of Boston or Miami, they keep finding ways to lose close games and blow late leads, but they are 19-25 and frankly better than their record shows. They have the point differential of a .500 team. Right now they are the seven seed in the East and climbing.
With that, the team is not making any major trades at the deadline, according to the Sporting News.
The playoff push has clearly lifted the Sixers’ outlook. According sources around the league, Philadelphia is not eager to make major roster changes now, and both Iguodala and Brand are all but certain to be with the team throughout this season.
That’s just fine with the players. “In the beginning of the year, we had new guys, we had a new coach, we weren’t really playing up to our ability,” said Brand, who is having his best season as a Sixer with averages of 15.0 points, 8.7 rebounds and 51.4 percent shooting from the field. “But we knew we were a better team than that. I think everyone here wanted a chance to show what we can do.”
There is a long, long way to go with this Sixers team. But they are not in a position where they need to be hasty with decisions, either.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10