Jan 25, 2011, 12:29 PM EST
The Philadelphia 76ers are a better team than you think.
Back 16 games into the season, when the Sixers were 3-13, there was a lot of talk about roster shakeups. Remember Andre Iguodala getting dragged into the Carmelo Anthony trade morass? There were calls (and maybe plans) to get Iguodala and Elton Brand out of town and really start rebuilding.
That’s not the case now. No, they’ll not be scaring the likes of Boston or Miami, they keep finding ways to lose close games and blow late leads, but they are 19-25 and frankly better than their record shows. They have the point differential of a .500 team. Right now they are the seven seed in the East and climbing.
With that, the team is not making any major trades at the deadline, according to the Sporting News.
The playoff push has clearly lifted the Sixers’ outlook. According sources around the league, Philadelphia is not eager to make major roster changes now, and both Iguodala and Brand are all but certain to be with the team throughout this season.
That’s just fine with the players. “In the beginning of the year, we had new guys, we had a new coach, we weren’t really playing up to our ability,” said Brand, who is having his best season as a Sixer with averages of 15.0 points, 8.7 rebounds and 51.4 percent shooting from the field. “But we knew we were a better team than that. I think everyone here wanted a chance to show what we can do.”
There is a long, long way to go with this Sixers team. But they are not in a position where they need to be hasty with decisions, either.
- What rust? Russell Westbrook returns, puts up 32 points in 24 minutes (VIDEO) 0
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 2
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 9
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 11
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8