Jan 25, 2011, 6:50 PM EDT
Every professional sports league carries with it an abundance of irrelevant records and streaks. The combinations of milestones available can create a new record on a whim (The first to 10,000 points, 5,000 rebounds, 3,000 steals, 2,500 free throw attempts, 3,000 turnovers, and 50 technical fouls!), and most “active streaks” stand as equally arbitrary.
A perfect example: last night ended the Toronto Raptors’ streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer at 986. That’s a lot of games, and a long time to be tabulating an irrelevant stat. What, exactly, is that record supposed to indicate? That the Raps were a good three-point shooting team during the duration of those 986 games? True in some cases, less so in others; predictably, Toronto’s effectiveness from beyond the arc waxed and waned throughout that stretch. Really, it’s a freak occurrence furthered strictly by the desire to keep an irrelevant streak alive. The streak’s inexplicable prevalence has made it a bit of trivia, and some players and coaches throughout the Raps’ recent history have undoubtedly made an effort to keep it alive.
Well, Jay Triano is having none of it. Here was the Raptors head coach’s response when asked about the ending of the streak at today’s practice, via Holly MacKenzie of The Basketball Jones:
“Yeah, you know what? With about a minute to go in a close game I thought, ‘You know what, we should probably figure out how to hit a three rather than try to win this game.’”
[And how did he find out that the streak was over?]
“I found out after we were walking off the floor. Somebody yelled at me that I should be fired because we didn’t make a three. Somebody yelled at me, that’s when I went, ‘Did we not make a three? OK, well,’ I mean, honestly, you know what, I think the organization should be very proud of the streak that it had, but for us to go into a game thinking that we should try to make a three and for us to have a depleted lineup with guys like [Leandro] Barbosa and [Linas] Kleiza and [Jose] Calderon not in uniform, I mean those are guys that are going to sometimes step up and make them for us. You know what, it’s a record and that record did not help us climb one spot in our race to try to get better as a team. It’s one less thing we can put in our media notes. Alright? So that’s about the extent of that streak being broken.”
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29