Jan 25, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
Such is the weight of the world on Atlas.
Or the weight of the Bulls franchise on Derrick Rose. He has had to carry the full weight of the Bulls return to near the top of the league this season as first Carlos Boozer and now Joakim Noah has been out, and that strain seems finally to have caught up with him.
When asked postgame how it would feel being off until Friday he responded (in a video from CSNChicago.com):
“My back is killing me right now. We’ve got time to rest, get treatment, and hopefully it will heal by the time we play Friday.”
Rose is averaging 38 minutes per game this season and when he is on the court 31.6 percent of his team’s possessions end in one of his plays (a basket, assist, turnover of Rose’s). That is the fifth highest percentage in the league, hanging out with Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, and LeBron and Wade in Miami. The league’s elite stars.
This appears to be just the regular wear and tear of the NBA grind when you are the team’s franchise player, the kind of pain is part of the regular season to a degree. But the Bulls need to get him some rest before the playoffs. And hopefully get everyone back healthy and get him some help, too.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 16
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14