Jan 25, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT
Such is the weight of the world on Atlas.
Or the weight of the Bulls franchise on Derrick Rose. He has had to carry the full weight of the Bulls return to near the top of the league this season as first Carlos Boozer and now Joakim Noah has been out, and that strain seems finally to have caught up with him.
When asked postgame how it would feel being off until Friday he responded (in a video from CSNChicago.com):
“My back is killing me right now. We’ve got time to rest, get treatment, and hopefully it will heal by the time we play Friday.”
Rose is averaging 38 minutes per game this season and when he is on the court 31.6 percent of his team’s possessions end in one of his plays (a basket, assist, turnover of Rose’s). That is the fifth highest percentage in the league, hanging out with Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, and LeBron and Wade in Miami. The league’s elite stars.
This appears to be just the regular wear and tear of the NBA grind when you are the team’s franchise player, the kind of pain is part of the regular season to a degree. But the Bulls need to get him some rest before the playoffs. And hopefully get everyone back healthy and get him some help, too.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 65
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6