Jan 25, 2011, 2:32 PM EST
Great news Hornets fans: Not only do you have to worry about losing your franchise player in Chris Paul in a couple of years — not to mention your entire franchise to some new, Clay Bennettesque out-of-town owner — you can worry about losing David West as well.
Sorry guys. The first round of Zantac is on us.
West can opt out of the final year of his deal for next season (set to pay him $7.5 million) and he plans to, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
New Orleans general manager Dell Demps has discussed the framework of a multiyear deal with West’s agents at Octagon, but the Hornets’ hopes of getting him signed prior to the Feb. 24 trade deadline is “not likely at all,” one source close to the talks told Yahoo! Sports…
“It’s hard to see an extension happening here,” one source said.
“I’ve been saying the same thing: I’m just going to wait until the end of the year, and I want to make the best decision I can make in terms of my future,” West said. “I’ve had an opportunity to talk with Dell. We have an understanding in terms of what’s out there, but I’m just going to play ball right now.”
What does that mean? Probably exactly that, this is an issue that will be on the table next summer. Who knows how the NBA’s ownership of the team (very likely through this summer) will impact this. It’s just another things for Hornets fans to worry about.
- Thursday night NBA grades: Any more questions for LaMarcus Aldridge? Didn’t think so. 0
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 9
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 20
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 35
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (63)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)