Jan 25, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
Great news Hornets fans: Not only do you have to worry about losing your franchise player in Chris Paul in a couple of years — not to mention your entire franchise to some new, Clay Bennettesque out-of-town owner — you can worry about losing David West as well.
Sorry guys. The first round of Zantac is on us.
West can opt out of the final year of his deal for next season (set to pay him $7.5 million) and he plans to, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
New Orleans general manager Dell Demps has discussed the framework of a multiyear deal with West’s agents at Octagon, but the Hornets’ hopes of getting him signed prior to the Feb. 24 trade deadline is “not likely at all,” one source close to the talks told Yahoo! Sports…
“It’s hard to see an extension happening here,” one source said.
“I’ve been saying the same thing: I’m just going to wait until the end of the year, and I want to make the best decision I can make in terms of my future,” West said. “I’ve had an opportunity to talk with Dell. We have an understanding in terms of what’s out there, but I’m just going to play ball right now.”
What does that mean? Probably exactly that, this is an issue that will be on the table next summer. Who knows how the NBA’s ownership of the team (very likely through this summer) will impact this. It’s just another things for Hornets fans to worry about.
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17