Jan 25, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
Great news Hornets fans: Not only do you have to worry about losing your franchise player in Chris Paul in a couple of years — not to mention your entire franchise to some new, Clay Bennettesque out-of-town owner — you can worry about losing David West as well.
Sorry guys. The first round of Zantac is on us.
West can opt out of the final year of his deal for next season (set to pay him $7.5 million) and he plans to, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
New Orleans general manager Dell Demps has discussed the framework of a multiyear deal with West’s agents at Octagon, but the Hornets’ hopes of getting him signed prior to the Feb. 24 trade deadline is “not likely at all,” one source close to the talks told Yahoo! Sports…
“It’s hard to see an extension happening here,” one source said.
“I’ve been saying the same thing: I’m just going to wait until the end of the year, and I want to make the best decision I can make in terms of my future,” West said. “I’ve had an opportunity to talk with Dell. We have an understanding in terms of what’s out there, but I’m just going to play ball right now.”
What does that mean? Probably exactly that, this is an issue that will be on the table next summer. Who knows how the NBA’s ownership of the team (very likely through this summer) will impact this. It’s just another things for Hornets fans to worry about.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 33
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 8
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23