Jan 25, 2011, 4:05 PM EDT
Chris Bosh is not the best player on the Miami Heat. He may be the most indispensable — with Udonis Haslem out, the drop off among bigs after Bosh is dramatic. They have nobody else who comes close to bringing what Bosh brings to the table.
And Bosh is going to be out a little while longer.
He has missed the Heat’s last two games and could be out another week or two with what he told the Miami Herald was the dreaded high ankle sprain. But there is no real timeline, Bosh and coach Erik Spoelstra seem to be just playing it by ear. But when Spoelstra was asked if it could be a couple of weeks he didn’t shoot that idea down.
Next up for the Heat is the Knicks on Thursday night. That is a team where LeBron James could spend a lot of time at the four spot as the Heat go small, something the Knicks would not be able to exploit. It means more LeBron post-up game. But they will miss having Bosh to match up on Amar’e Stoudemire. After that come the Pistons, Thunder and Cavaliers on the schedule (Sunday against the Thunder the Heat really would miss Bosh’s length).
The injury took place when the Bulls’ Omer Asik fell into Bosh’s leg going for a loose ball 10 days ago. Because of having just one game over seven days, Bosh has not missed a lot of Heat games thus far, but the pace of the Heat schedule is about to change.
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 4
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 27
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31