Jan 24, 2011, 6:30 PM EST
The Toronto Raptors have had a fairly busy Monday. According to Scott Schroeder of NBA FanHouse, the Raps will soon bring Trey Johnson, member of the Bakersfield Jam and the D-League’s leading scorer, in for a 10-day contract. Additionally, Holly MacKenzie of The Score reported that the Raptors have signed former D-Leaguer Sundiata Gaines to a second 10-day contract, though apparently Gaines’ tenure in Toronto may not last through the duration of that deal.
Schroeder indicated that Johnson is the Raptors’ real target for the 10-day, and that Gaines’ re-signing is most likely only a temporary solution until Johnson can make his way to Toronto. Gaines may be a Raptor for only a day more; Toronto plays against Memphis tonight, and Johnson wouldn’t arrive in time for the game. In all likelihood, Gaines will be cut loose in order to open up a roster spot for Johnson, and Toronto will continue their search of a backcourt stopgap that plays to their liking. Gaines seemed a good of a choice as any, but apparently Toronto thought otherwise, and will see what Johnson, a 6-5 26-year-old who can score like crazy and swing between guard positions, can offer.
There haven’t been very many D-League call-ups this season, but the Raptors have been notably active in their D-League interactions. The Johnson call-up is just one instance; Gaines was a one-time D-League commodity, and both first round pick Ed Davis and second round selection Solomon Alabi have been down to the D-League and back. Toronto doesn’t have a monopoly on D-League relations, but they’ve clearly made it a point of emphasis this season to consider the D a serious option for assignment and viable free agents.
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 1
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 15
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)