Jan 24, 2011, 6:11 PM EDT
It’s been a rough stretch for the Indiana pacers. After a promising start to the season, the Pacers have dropped five games in a row, and have lost eight of their last 10 contests. They are currently 1/2 a game out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern conference, and are heading in the wrong direction fast.
Given the team’s poor play and seeming lack of effort during those games, some people have begun to question whether or not coach Jim O’Brien will make it through the year. However, Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star says that the Pacers have no intention of firing O’Brien this season:
The hot topic surrounding the team is coach Jim O’Brien.
Barring a sudden change of thought, the Pacers have no intention of replacing O’Brien, who is in the final year of his contract.
They wouldn’t move any of the assistants up and there’s no point in bringing in somebody from the outside because the players would have to learn the new coach’s system on the fly over the final 41 games of the season.
I said it last summer, and I’ll say it again, there’s only one person to coach this team if there’s a change.
His name is Larry Bird.
Bird has no intention of coaching.
Well, there you have it. For better or worse, the Pacers are going to stick with their guy for the rest of the season. If O’Brien does manage to right the ship, the Pacers’ patience with him will be rewarded. If the Pacers continue their slide, they can simply let O’Brien’s contract run out and begin the team’s rebuilding process in earnest.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28