Jan 24, 2011, 12:05 PM EST
When one gets hit over the head enough times, one learns a lesson.
That lesson for the Pacers is that Brandon Rush is inconsistent, and gets lost on defense at times. For evidence of the later, watch the fantastic Sebastian Pruiti at NBA Playbook break down how Rush cheats off Carmelo Anthony last night again and again, even while ‘Melo has the hottest hand in the building.
It’s often hard to figure out the thinking behind the rotations under Jim O’Brien in Indiana, but one thing he is thinking about that makes some sense is giving rookie Paul George a lot of Rush’s minutes, he told the Indianapolis Star.
“The decision that I have to make is when do I move Paul definitely in front of Brandon,” O’Brien said. “That’s coming if we keep getting sporadic play.”
That comment comes off as classic coach “motivate a player through the media” speak, just O’Brien trying to light a fire under Rush. But it’s still a good idea.
In fewer minutes, George has been a more efficient offensive player than Rush, shooting higher percentage (46.4 to 42.8 percent) and he is scoring more points per possession (1.05 for George to 0.96 for Rush), according to Synergy. George gets more of his opportunities off spot up and in transition (and the athletic George thrives when he runs with Darren Collison, shooting 71.8 percent in transition). Rush gets more of his shots in half court sets coming off screens or as a pick-and-roll ball handler, but there is that consistency issue.
Can George defend consistently against a higher level of players, either as a starter or first wing player off the bench? Really, there’s only one way to find out. He may be inconsistent, but you’ve already got inconsistent with Rush. Might as well let a kid who can grow get the minutes now.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 3
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 0
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 26
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9