Jan 24, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
When one gets hit over the head enough times, one learns a lesson.
That lesson for the Pacers is that Brandon Rush is inconsistent, and gets lost on defense at times. For evidence of the later, watch the fantastic Sebastian Pruiti at NBA Playbook break down how Rush cheats off Carmelo Anthony last night again and again, even while ‘Melo has the hottest hand in the building.
It’s often hard to figure out the thinking behind the rotations under Jim O’Brien in Indiana, but one thing he is thinking about that makes some sense is giving rookie Paul George a lot of Rush’s minutes, he told the Indianapolis Star.
“The decision that I have to make is when do I move Paul definitely in front of Brandon,” O’Brien said. “That’s coming if we keep getting sporadic play.”
That comment comes off as classic coach “motivate a player through the media” speak, just O’Brien trying to light a fire under Rush. But it’s still a good idea.
In fewer minutes, George has been a more efficient offensive player than Rush, shooting higher percentage (46.4 to 42.8 percent) and he is scoring more points per possession (1.05 for George to 0.96 for Rush), according to Synergy. George gets more of his opportunities off spot up and in transition (and the athletic George thrives when he runs with Darren Collison, shooting 71.8 percent in transition). Rush gets more of his shots in half court sets coming off screens or as a pick-and-roll ball handler, but there is that consistency issue.
Can George defend consistently against a higher level of players, either as a starter or first wing player off the bench? Really, there’s only one way to find out. He may be inconsistent, but you’ve already got inconsistent with Rush. Might as well let a kid who can grow get the minutes now.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 12
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43