Jan 24, 2011, 8:44 AM EST
What happened while you were watching that Haines guy no one knew about before Sunday…
Celtics 110 Jazz 86: It’s rare that a loss to the best team in the Eastern Conference on the road is really hard to swallow, but this was yet another disappointing effort from the Jazz. Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap were completely neutralized by the Celtics’ front line, and Deron Williams had a bad night against Rondo. The Celtics looked every bit like they would not be having those lost nights in January this year.
Wizards 85 Celtics 83: … Or not. The Celtics’ offense completely melted into nothingness while John Wall made several huge plays down the stretch. First he tip-stole a pass from Rondo on a rebound to secure another possession and burn clock, then he drained a bank three (which he did not call glass on) which wound up icing it. But hey, the Wizards will take it any way they can get it. Meanwhile, Paul Pierce whiffed on a step back elbow J, the kind he never misses on. Huge win for the Wizards.
Hornets 96 Spurs 72: The first quarter of this game should never be discussed again, ever. It was 13-12 after the first quarter and the defense wasn’t even really that good. It was just the Spurs and Hornets missing lots of shots. And the Spurs kept up that strategy for the rest of the game. For two teams that have played so well lately, this was a terrible performance on both sides, but Chris Paul took over, and Emeka Okafor did his thing and the Hornets got away with this one. Bad loss for the best team in the West.
Thunder 101 Knicks 98: I could talk to you about the Knicks’ incredible series of poor decisions offensively down the stretch. I could talk to you about Serge Ibaka and his work on the offensive glass garnering the Thunder way more possessions than they should have had. I can talk to you about Nick Collison‘s work on Amar’e Stoudemire which helped confound him late. But really, this is all you need to know:
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 1
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)