Jan 23, 2011, 4:45 PM EDT
Could be worse. I mean, Rip Hamilton could be lighting stuff on fire. Or Sheed could still be around. Or … yeah, that’s pretty much it.
From the Detroit Free Press:
But here is what we do know. Kuester said he “made overtures” and “reached out” to Hamilton. Hamilton said he did not meet with Kuester. If both are telling the truth — and I have no reason to think that anyone is lying — that means Kuester made an attempt to speak with Hamilton, but the two did not speak.
Which seems to clear things up a little bit. No?
Basically, Kuester was asked if he’s met with Hamilton, said he’d “reached out.” They asked Rip if they’d met, Rip said no. No one knew to ask Rip if Kuester had reached out. Basically the lines of communication are an abject disaster right now.
What’s incredible is this issue should have been resolved a year and a half ago. When the Pistons decided to commit that money to Ben Gordon, they should have moved Hamilton when he still had value for young assets or at least some cap space. After last season’s disaster, they certainly should have moved him on draft day for something, anything really.
The fans are still chanting “We want Rip!” and the coaches still aren’t obliging them. Let’s be clear. The problem here is Kuester. If he can’t make it work with Hamilton, who has been a part of the organization for over a half-decade, he should have told Joe Dumars to move him, immediately. If there really are no trade partners for Dumars, he should have begun working on a buyout months ago. Maybe he has and Hamilton wants his money. But the way this has been handled isn’t just unfortunate, it’s an abject embarrassment.
Something’s got to give here, and soon. But then, we’ve been saying that for a while.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 7
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 44
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional