Jan 23, 2011, 4:45 PM EST
Could be worse. I mean, Rip Hamilton could be lighting stuff on fire. Or Sheed could still be around. Or … yeah, that’s pretty much it.
From the Detroit Free Press:
But here is what we do know. Kuester said he “made overtures” and “reached out” to Hamilton. Hamilton said he did not meet with Kuester. If both are telling the truth — and I have no reason to think that anyone is lying — that means Kuester made an attempt to speak with Hamilton, but the two did not speak.
Which seems to clear things up a little bit. No?
Basically, Kuester was asked if he’s met with Hamilton, said he’d “reached out.” They asked Rip if they’d met, Rip said no. No one knew to ask Rip if Kuester had reached out. Basically the lines of communication are an abject disaster right now.
What’s incredible is this issue should have been resolved a year and a half ago. When the Pistons decided to commit that money to Ben Gordon, they should have moved Hamilton when he still had value for young assets or at least some cap space. After last season’s disaster, they certainly should have moved him on draft day for something, anything really.
The fans are still chanting “We want Rip!” and the coaches still aren’t obliging them. Let’s be clear. The problem here is Kuester. If he can’t make it work with Hamilton, who has been a part of the organization for over a half-decade, he should have told Joe Dumars to move him, immediately. If there really are no trade partners for Dumars, he should have begun working on a buyout months ago. Maybe he has and Hamilton wants his money. But the way this has been handled isn’t just unfortunate, it’s an abject embarrassment.
Something’s got to give here, and soon. But then, we’ve been saying that for a while.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13