Jan 21, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
In a blow to a Bobcats team fighting to get one of the final playoff spots in the East, Tyrus Thomas will miss the next eight weeks after surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee, the team announced.
Thomas was a last second scratch from the Bobcats lineup before the team’s win over the Sixers Thursday. An MRI revealed the knee for surgery.
Thomas has been coming off the bench but doing well in that role, providing a defensive boost, plus 10 points and 7 boards a game in the team’s last 10. He’s been averaging 25 minutes a night and Paul Silas can look down the Bobcats bench all he wants he doesn’t have a player who can fill those minutes nearly as well.
How many meniscus injuries are we up to this season? Clearly they don’t make those like they used to.
- The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next 2
- 2014 PBT Awards: Coach of the Year 20
- Carmelo Anthony: “I want to come back…I also want to win.” 31
- Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season 45
- Duke’s Jabari Parker says he will enter NBA Draft 33