Jan 21, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
The end result is the same — Troy Murphy is sitting at home waiting to be traded.
But Net’s General Manager Billy King wanted to make clear that Murphy did not ask for a trade, as had been reported previously. Well, it was reported that way because that’s exactly what King said. But King now says he phrased it poorly, as he told ESPN’s Marc Stein.
King says he and Murphy had reached a mutual agreement to try to find the 30-year-old Jersey native a new home — preferably with a playoff contender — if the Melo deal fell through and Murphy’s $12 million expiring contract was not needed to clinch the Pistons’ participation in the trade
“I probably worded it a little bit too harshly,” King said.
Stein goes on to mention Orlando, San Antonio and Dallas as potential landing spots. Another option is the Nets just buy out Murphy, making him a free agent.
The Nets will not take on any large, longer contracts back so they need to find a team that wants Murphy and has a large expiring deal they can trade him for. But by Feb. 24 (the trade deadline) Murphy will be somewhere else. Likely on a veteran team where he will get some run, not on a rebuilding team where he is banished to the bench so younger players can learn.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona