Jan 21, 2011, 8:41 PM EDT
It was enough to raise some eyebrows.
The Toronto Raptors buy out Peja Stojakovic (who technically has to go on waivers but nobody wants to pay him the rest of his $15 million, so he’ll clear). Then he is a free agent and already has a verbal commitment to go to Dallas. However, Dallas has to clear out a roster spot so in a separate action are trading third year center Alexis Ajinca to Toronto.
For Dallas and Toronto to have set that all up as a quid pro quo deal would violate NBA rules.
Everyone expects this trade will be approved soon. To suspect such a violation and to prove it are two very different things.
Ajinca, who is from France, has all the physical skills to play in the NBA but is still figuring out the game on the mental side. At Summer League last year he was a mix of physically impressive plays and mental mistakes. Due to injuries he got to start a couple games for the Mavs?
The Mavericks are in it to win it, they don’t have time for a raw youngster to learn on the job. The Raptors have room to let him learn. This might be a good fit. Maybe better than Peja in Dallas, but that’s another discussion.
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 2
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 28
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat, Pacers go to overtime in Game 1
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games