Jan 21, 2011, 8:29 AM EST
There have been defenders trying to give Kobe Bryant a pair of cement shoes for years. Now he’s just going to do it for himself.
Kobe is about to become the first non-actor to get his cement hand and foot prints in front of the legendary Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood. There will be a ceremony All-Star weekend where Kobe’s prints will go next to John Wayne, Marilyn Monroe, the cast of Star Wars, John Travolta, Al Pacino and other acting legends at what his an old Hollywood landmark turned cheesy tourist trap.
Why? Officially because of the new Nike extended advertisement, er, movie by director Robert Rodriguez featuring Kobe that will be released at the same time.
Really why? Because like pretty much anything in Hollywood it’s an honor you can buy if you are a celebrity with money and need a publicity stunt. Not that Kobe is paying for this, Nike is. And Kobe is as big a celebrity in Los Angeles as there is right now.
But get there fast — NBCLA.com reports Kobe’s prints will not be on permanent display out in front of the theater. This is only a temporary thing. Kobe is no Jack Nicholson. Or even Betty Davis.
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 16
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 40
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 7
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31