Jan 21, 2011, 8:29 AM EDT
There have been defenders trying to give Kobe Bryant a pair of cement shoes for years. Now he’s just going to do it for himself.
Kobe is about to become the first non-actor to get his cement hand and foot prints in front of the legendary Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood. There will be a ceremony All-Star weekend where Kobe’s prints will go next to John Wayne, Marilyn Monroe, the cast of Star Wars, John Travolta, Al Pacino and other acting legends at what his an old Hollywood landmark turned cheesy tourist trap.
Why? Officially because of the new Nike extended advertisement, er, movie by director Robert Rodriguez featuring Kobe that will be released at the same time.
Really why? Because like pretty much anything in Hollywood it’s an honor you can buy if you are a celebrity with money and need a publicity stunt. Not that Kobe is paying for this, Nike is. And Kobe is as big a celebrity in Los Angeles as there is right now.
But get there fast — NBCLA.com reports Kobe’s prints will not be on permanent display out in front of the theater. This is only a temporary thing. Kobe is no Jack Nicholson. Or even Betty Davis.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70