Jan 21, 2011, 10:22 PM EDT
Do you have any idea how much it pains Jerry West to say the Celtics are the best team in the NBA? To say that the Lakers’ window is closing because they are getting old?
But West is nothing if not a straight shooter, and it was that speaking to the Orange County Automobile Dealers Association, as reported by the Orange County Register.
So when one of the dealers asked West who would win the NBA title this year, he told it as he saw it.
“I think Boston is a very dangerous team,” he said of the Celtics. “I would not want to play them every other night.”
As for the current Lakers, they are in the mix, too. For now.
“I don’t think the Lakers will be good for much longer, ” he said.
“You can keep a car running for a long time by changing the tires, etc. You can’t change a player’s tires.”
West said many of the Lakers’ current players are “getting long in the tooth.”
“If there’s a loose ball now, how often do they get it?” West pointed out to the crowd, which was relishing the sports talk.
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 6
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 6