Jan 21, 2011, 10:22 PM EDT
Do you have any idea how much it pains Jerry West to say the Celtics are the best team in the NBA? To say that the Lakers’ window is closing because they are getting old?
But West is nothing if not a straight shooter, and it was that speaking to the Orange County Automobile Dealers Association, as reported by the Orange County Register.
So when one of the dealers asked West who would win the NBA title this year, he told it as he saw it.
“I think Boston is a very dangerous team,” he said of the Celtics. “I would not want to play them every other night.”
As for the current Lakers, they are in the mix, too. For now.
“I don’t think the Lakers will be good for much longer, ” he said.
“You can keep a car running for a long time by changing the tires, etc. You can’t change a player’s tires.”
West said many of the Lakers’ current players are “getting long in the tooth.”
“If there’s a loose ball now, how often do they get it?” West pointed out to the crowd, which was relishing the sports talk.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 12
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43