Jan 21, 2011, 10:22 PM EDT
Do you have any idea how much it pains Jerry West to say the Celtics are the best team in the NBA? To say that the Lakers’ window is closing because they are getting old?
But West is nothing if not a straight shooter, and it was that speaking to the Orange County Automobile Dealers Association, as reported by the Orange County Register.
So when one of the dealers asked West who would win the NBA title this year, he told it as he saw it.
“I think Boston is a very dangerous team,” he said of the Celtics. “I would not want to play them every other night.”
As for the current Lakers, they are in the mix, too. For now.
“I don’t think the Lakers will be good for much longer, ” he said.
“You can keep a car running for a long time by changing the tires, etc. You can’t change a player’s tires.”
West said many of the Lakers’ current players are “getting long in the tooth.”
“If there’s a loose ball now, how often do they get it?” West pointed out to the crowd, which was relishing the sports talk.
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 5
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22