Jan 21, 2011, 10:22 PM EDT
Do you have any idea how much it pains Jerry West to say the Celtics are the best team in the NBA? To say that the Lakers’ window is closing because they are getting old?
But West is nothing if not a straight shooter, and it was that speaking to the Orange County Automobile Dealers Association, as reported by the Orange County Register.
So when one of the dealers asked West who would win the NBA title this year, he told it as he saw it.
“I think Boston is a very dangerous team,” he said of the Celtics. “I would not want to play them every other night.”
As for the current Lakers, they are in the mix, too. For now.
“I don’t think the Lakers will be good for much longer, ” he said.
“You can keep a car running for a long time by changing the tires, etc. You can’t change a player’s tires.”
West said many of the Lakers’ current players are “getting long in the tooth.”
“If there’s a loose ball now, how often do they get it?” West pointed out to the crowd, which was relishing the sports talk.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 6
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 17
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29