Jan 21, 2011, 3:10 AM EDT
What you missed while figuring out how to bring a Woolly Mammoth to life…
Bulls 82, Mavericks 77: I feel like I keep writing the sentence “The Bulls won an ugly game.”
The Bulls are winning with defense and with Carlos Boozer out for a third straight the offense has been unimpressive. Derrick Rose and little else. The Mavs have been struggling in pretty much every facet of the game and were on the second night of a back-to-back after an emotional win. Maybe ugly is too strong a word for this game but it certainly wasn’t pretty.
Nobody was efficient in this game, certainly not Rose who needed 28 shots to get his 26 points. But he was the best player on the court, particularly in the fourth quarter.
The real key for the Bulls —17 offensive rebounds. In a slow-paced game (85 possessions each) where neither team shot well the Bulls got a second chance on 34.7 perent of their missed shots. That was enough to secure a win.
Dirk Nowitzki not only shot poorly — 6-of-16 — but he was limping at points on the court and may have rushed back from his knee sprain. He’s had some good stretches but he hasn’t looked right since his return.
Trail Blazers 108, Clippers 93: For everybody jumping on the “the Clippers can make the playoffs” bandwagon — that is the team you have to catch.
LaMarcus Aldridge completely outplayed Blake Griffin. He looked like the All-Star candidate. Griffin had 20 points but shot just 6-of-17 (he also had 18 boards) while Aldridge had 29 points on 13-of-20 shooting. Griffin is strong but Aldridge was able to hold his ground and his length was too much for Griffin.
Bobcats 100, Sixers 97: Tell me if you’ve heard this one before: The Sixers lost game where they had a lead late. This time the Sixers battled back from eight back to take a lead with only a few minutes left, then gave up an 8-2 run and that was it. D.J. Augustin continues to thrive under Paul Silas and put up 31. Larry Brown really did need to go.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 76
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 19
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (78)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay