Jan 20, 2011, 2:09 AM EST
When reporters descended on him postgame, Carmelo Anthony still hadn’t seen the press conference where Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov pulled the plug on trade discussions that would have sent Anthony to New Jersey. (It’s understandable, Anthony had been a tad busy dropping 35 on the Thunder in a Nugget win).
“I’m pretty sure he was tired of it, going through the back and forth and he didn’t want to deal with it.”
“I never said anything. I never told anybody anything. I’m pretty sure (Prokhorov) was tired of everything that was going. The things you guys write about him. He probably got tired of it. He probably got tired up of it. He probably got fed up about it and he just wanted to move on.”
He may have been tired of what we in the media write, but you can be sure he was more tired of having no idea what Anthony was thinking. This is a long, long way to down the trade rabbit hole not knowing if the guy you’re all talking about will sign an extension to stay in New Jersey.
It’s on you Anthony. He needed to know.
It would have come up at a meeting that both Prokhorov and Anthony both said had been scheduled for Thursday but that the Prokhorov cancelled.
“Yeah, I mean he’s a very interesting man. For me to just be in the room with him and to have a conversation, I would have loved that.”
Anthony said he still expects to be traded by deadline Feb. 24, but he refused to answer questions about other teams or scenarios. That includes not answering questions about re-signing with Denver.
New Jersey may be out of the picture. Maybe. But ‘Melo also knows the processes is not.
“I still am going to have to deal with it (trade rumors).”
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 4
- PBT’s Wednesday night NBA Winners/Losers: Video of LeBron’s fumble, other tight finishes 13
- LeBron James, with chance to beat Spurs, loses ball to end game (video) 37
- NBA suspends Hornets’ Jeff Taylor for 24 games following guilty plea for domestic violence 7
- PBT Extra: Is Dwight Howard NBA’s newest villain? 31
- Report: Bradley Beal to make season debut Wednesday for Wizards 5
- Kobe Bryant passes 32,000 career points milestone 6
- Dwight Howard’s attorney: Claims Rockets’ star abused his child baseless 11