Jan 19, 2011, 11:09 PM EDT
Now comes Part II of the Melo melodrama, and this could be even more intriguing.
Not by volume, of course. The next incarnation won’t be a 15-player package.
Rather, it will be fascinating to see just how much a team is willing to ante up for a potential four-month rental.
In many ways, Anthony could become a test case, a test case that also could create some second guessing of what transpired just a year ago, when the Cavaliers, Raptors and Suns held their cards to the end — and wound up with nothing tangible in exchange for LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Amare Stoudemire in free agency.
But at least Denver has those three examples as a guide.
Cleveland was never in position to consider dealing James by last season’s trading deadline, not while in the thick of a championship hunt that could have netted both a ring and LeBron’s long-term signature.
But, in retrospect, Toronto would have been wise to cash out with Bosh at the 2010 trading deadline. Ditto with the Suns and Stoudemire.
If the Nuggets truly believe they are championship contenders (they’re not), then it might make sense to play this out to the finish. Just put a dotted line on some of that championship confetti.
Otherwise, test the desperation elsewhere. Foremost, it has to be a team with a sizeable expiring contract. Then there have to be prospects and picks, what the Nuggets thought they would be getting from the Nets, until they apparently pushed too far.
In a league of ultimate desperation, someone’s championship vision will have them overpaying. Dallas, with Caron Butler sidelined, just might make plenty of sense.
Of course, Carmelo paying a playoff visit to the Pepsi Center with the Mavericks might prove too much to stomach.
Carmelo and the Nuggets clearly wanted ownership of the trade situation. Both seemed to have overplayed their hand.
Now the Nuggets would be foolish not to seek renter’s insurance, if, indeed, a such-term taker can be found.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 18
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 15
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 16
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80