Jan 19, 2011, 12:27 AM EST
When the official report came back on Marcus Camby’s MRI saying it was clean, we told you that the Blazers were wary and wanted their own team doctor to take a look at the films.
Turns out, with good reason.
A second review revealed partial medial meniscus tear in Camby’s left knee, and he will have surgery later this week the team announced.
“The MRI taken earlier today did not show anything significant,” said Blazers GM Rich Cho in a released statement. “However, a more thorough review tonight from our team physician did reveal a partial tear.”
The timetable for his return will be set after the surgery.
This will hurt the Blazers on the court, Camby is an anchor on defense and gives them 11 rebounds and nearly two blocked shots per game. In Camby’s place Nate McMillan said we may see Joel Przybilla, who had knee surgery last March after falling in the shower during his rehab from another knee surgery in December 2009.
Camby also was a valuable trade asset for the Blazers, if they decided to go that route, but his value has now dropped.
Camby joins a lengthy list of injured Blazers this season that includes Greg Oden and Brandon Roy, the latter of which just had surgery on both knees Monday. The basketball gods have been particularly cruel to the Blazers.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 4
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 5
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 21
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 9
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)