Jan 19, 2011, 1:44 PM EST
Life is good when you’re a New York Knick and you are winning.
And they are winning, more than nearly everyone expected. We thought we here at PBT were a little optimistic saying in our season preview they would win 38 this season. Right now, the Knicks are on pace for 44-45 wins. Their point differential is that of a 42-win team. Amar’e Stoudemire has played his way into the MVP conversation. They are currently the six seed in the East, with a comfortable six-game cushion between them and falling out of the playoffs.
And they have played comfortable the last week. Which is bad — this is not a team with the depth of talent to coast. The Knicks have lost four of the last five and coach Mike D’Antoni went through the press — the New York Post, for example — to remind his team they have earned nothing yet.
“We don’t look at standings and say, ‘We’re OK,’ ” D’Antoni said. “No, we’re not OK. I think guys have to have a more sense of urgency. Instead of a wakeup call, [it’s a] call for urgency. We played with that all year and lost it.”
“I don’t want to get ahead of ourselves,” D’Antoni said. “I think we are what we are right now. We’re trying to make the playoffs. We need to make the playoffs. Toward the end of the year, I expect us to be a very good team. The last two games we haven’t been. We blew two games at home.”
The second of those was a 129-121 loss to the Phoenix Suns where, without Ronny Turiaf in the paint (due to injury), the Knicks didn’t bother with defense.
The Knicks would have to fall pretty hard to fall out of the playoffs. But with Raymond Felton playing through a sore hand and struggling a little during this losing streak, it’s easy to see how fragile this roster is. D’Antoni is going to cajole and kick to keep them focused, to make sure they make the playoffs. Once they are in the playoffs, then everything is gravy.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13