Jan 19, 2011, 12:37 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks have missed Caron Butler.
It’s been hard to tell because they missed Dirk Nowitzki so much for the nine games he was out, then he returns and they miss Tyson Chandler for two games due to the flu — and not so coincidentally their defense turns into, um, organic fertilizer while he is out.
But they will miss Butler, as you will see tonight when the Mavericks take on the Lakers.
Butler told ESPN Dallas his goal is to return from knee surgery for the playoffs.
“I know what muscles to keep fired, what little things to do,” Butler said. “I just need some time. I’ve been through this before when I was 15 years old and it took about 4.5 months to come back from, and I was rolling. I was good. I was healthy. So I just need some time.”
With Butler the Mavericks had put together one of the best records in the West, they were talked about as a potential threat to the Lakers. With Butler they might be able to regain that reputation and see if it was a reality.
Don’t expect the Mavericks to make any moves. The latest reports — again from ESPN Dallas — are they are standing pat with a month to go before the trade deadline. If the team is still slumping in two weeks, that may change. But for now, don’t expect a big move.
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 0
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 3
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 5
- Report: Tony Parker got death threats during Game 1 9
- Kobe tweets he wants Howard and Gasol back with Lakers 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable