Jan 18, 2011, 9:50 AM EDT
It seems LeBron James is better known for the things around him off the court — like Nike’s ad campaigns — than for what he has accomplished on it so far.
For example, remember “The LeBrons?” The four versions of LeBron — dapper business LeBron, athlete LeBron, young LeBron and old, curmudgeonly LeBron — from a few years ago?
They’re back, with a web-only animated series focused around the four, LeBron — the real one — told the New York Times.
“I’m mostly a kid at heart,” Mr. James said of these manifestations, “and I’m the athlete, of course, that everyone sees. But I also have a business side, a cool side, and I love antique stuff and classical music. I guess that’s the old man side of me.”
“The LeBrons,” whose first season will consist of 10 episodes of five to six minutes each, will center on the world of 16-year-old Kid LeBron and his life in Akron, Ohio, using authentic locations from that city, where Mr. James was born and raised.
Each episode will have a message — stay in school, stay off drugs, etc. — as most childrens’ shows now do. There was a time when just watching the roadrunner out wit the coyote (and the ensuing pain that was inflicted on said coyote) was enough. That was entertainment. But now seemingly every children’s show is teaching lessons or trying to be educational. So it will be with The LeBrons.
James will be providing some of the voices and is involved in the productions, his partners say.
LeBron couldn’t just settle for a guest stint on The Simpsons like Magic Johnson, he has his own show. I’m sure there will be plenty to mock in this when it comes out, but we want to give it a chance first. It could be good. It could. You never know.
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 8
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9