Jan 18, 2011, 9:50 AM EST
It seems LeBron James is better known for the things around him off the court — like Nike’s ad campaigns — than for what he has accomplished on it so far.
For example, remember “The LeBrons?” The four versions of LeBron — dapper business LeBron, athlete LeBron, young LeBron and old, curmudgeonly LeBron — from a few years ago?
They’re back, with a web-only animated series focused around the four, LeBron — the real one — told the New York Times.
“I’m mostly a kid at heart,” Mr. James said of these manifestations, “and I’m the athlete, of course, that everyone sees. But I also have a business side, a cool side, and I love antique stuff and classical music. I guess that’s the old man side of me.”
“The LeBrons,” whose first season will consist of 10 episodes of five to six minutes each, will center on the world of 16-year-old Kid LeBron and his life in Akron, Ohio, using authentic locations from that city, where Mr. James was born and raised.
Each episode will have a message — stay in school, stay off drugs, etc. — as most childrens’ shows now do. There was a time when just watching the roadrunner out wit the coyote (and the ensuing pain that was inflicted on said coyote) was enough. That was entertainment. But now seemingly every children’s show is teaching lessons or trying to be educational. So it will be with The LeBrons.
James will be providing some of the voices and is involved in the productions, his partners say.
LeBron couldn’t just settle for a guest stint on The Simpsons like Magic Johnson, he has his own show. I’m sure there will be plenty to mock in this when it comes out, but we want to give it a chance first. It could be good. It could. You never know.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 6
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 3
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 46
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45