Jan 18, 2011, 9:48 PM EDT
He’s not the holdup — it’s the Nets and Nuggets.
A person with knowledge of the proposed Carmelo Anthony trade says the holdup is over the framework of the deal, not the All-Star forward’s willingness to commit to New Jersey.
Though they appeared close to a deal 11 days ago, the teams are still negotiating what the Nets would send to Denver, the person told The Associated Press on Tuesday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the trade….
But the teams haven’t been able to agree on the exact price that will persuade the Nuggets to finally part with their franchise player.
You get the feeling the two sides are still haggling over the details. The framework of the deal as reported would send Anthony along with Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton to New Jersey; send Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Anthony Morrow, some other players and a couple first-round picks to Denver; and give Detroit Troy Murphy and Johan Petro as well as some second-round picks. There are other players and picks involved.
Previously the stumbling block was who, if anyone, would take the four-year, $28 million contract of Al Harrington. It might still be. They still might be looking for a fourth team to do so.
Although other reports question if Anthony will sign off on an extension with the Nets, the AP report says the Nets are not worried about that. As we’ve said before, there is no way the Nuggets or ‘Melo’s agent Leon Rose would have let talks progress this far if there were a definitive no. But that is different than a yes.
It seems like this soap opera is drawing to a close soon. That Anthony will decide… and then we can hope the Nets and Nuggets play nice and decide, too.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70