Jan 18, 2011, 9:48 PM EST
He’s not the holdup — it’s the Nets and Nuggets.
A person with knowledge of the proposed Carmelo Anthony trade says the holdup is over the framework of the deal, not the All-Star forward’s willingness to commit to New Jersey.
Though they appeared close to a deal 11 days ago, the teams are still negotiating what the Nets would send to Denver, the person told The Associated Press on Tuesday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the trade….
But the teams haven’t been able to agree on the exact price that will persuade the Nuggets to finally part with their franchise player.
You get the feeling the two sides are still haggling over the details. The framework of the deal as reported would send Anthony along with Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton to New Jersey; send Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Anthony Morrow, some other players and a couple first-round picks to Denver; and give Detroit Troy Murphy and Johan Petro as well as some second-round picks. There are other players and picks involved.
Previously the stumbling block was who, if anyone, would take the four-year, $28 million contract of Al Harrington. It might still be. They still might be looking for a fourth team to do so.
Although other reports question if Anthony will sign off on an extension with the Nets, the AP report says the Nets are not worried about that. As we’ve said before, there is no way the Nuggets or ‘Melo’s agent Leon Rose would have let talks progress this far if there were a definitive no. But that is different than a yes.
It seems like this soap opera is drawing to a close soon. That Anthony will decide… and then we can hope the Nets and Nuggets play nice and decide, too.
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 4
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 0
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 23
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13