Jan 18, 2011, 1:26 PM EDT
Phil Jackson got about as much production as anyone has out of Kwame Brown when he was with the Lakers. He did it by limiting his role — focus only on rebounding and defense in the paint. Don’t shoot unless it’s a dunk. Stay out of Kobe’s way. Pretty much every coach Brown has had in the pros said variations of the same thing.
Paul Silas has done the opposite, Brown told the Charlotte Observer.
It was funny Sunday when Brown told me every previous NBA coach, over nine seasons, had one way or another discouraged him from shooting. Put it this way. Brown took nine shots, (Stephen) Jackson 24 and they ended up with the same number of points (15).
Brown has had double-doubles the last two games, hitting 10 of 15 shots in the process. He may really be comfortable in this system. But Bobcats fans would be making a mistake to think he’s turned a corner — witness his pass that was stolen in the final minute of the overtime loss to the Sixers Monday. (Granted, Brown was put in a bad position by Boris Diaw on the play, but when faced with a pressure chance Brown made the bad choice.) Kwame as a big body backup center has some use, but expect much beyond that is to make a mistake many others have had before you.
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 1
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 3
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 1
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 11
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 36
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars