Jan 18, 2011, 1:54 PM EST
Rajon Rondo had 13 assists on the score sheet after the Celtics won in dramatic fashion over the Magic on Monday… except he only really had 12.
Zach Lowe of Sports Illustrated pointed it out this morning (caught first by Mark at Sham Sports): On the Celtics first play of the game Monday night Rondo is dribbling out at the top of the key while the Celtics run one of their standard sets. Ray Allen curls off a Shaquille O’Neal screen down low. Rondo hits Allen with a pass near the elbow and Allen then whips a bounce pass to Shaq, who makes a move under the basket and scores. Click here to see the video.
Rondo got an assist on that.
Yes, Ray Allen made the pass. And maybe there should not have been an assist at all considering Shaq dribbled and went under the basket to score. But it certainly wasn’t a Rondo assist.
The league emailed Lowe and said that the assist would be rescinded.
If I were cynical, I would say it was home cooking to pad the stats. First, Rondo doesn’t really need help because he has been setting up teammates when he had wide open shots all season. But I’m going to just assume this was an honest mistake. It’s not like there have been a bunch of borderline assists all season. Nope. They would never pad the stats in Boston. Nope.
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 1
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 7
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 16
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)