Jan 18, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo had 13 assists on the score sheet after the Celtics won in dramatic fashion over the Magic on Monday… except he only really had 12.
Zach Lowe of Sports Illustrated pointed it out this morning (caught first by Mark at Sham Sports): On the Celtics first play of the game Monday night Rondo is dribbling out at the top of the key while the Celtics run one of their standard sets. Ray Allen curls off a Shaquille O’Neal screen down low. Rondo hits Allen with a pass near the elbow and Allen then whips a bounce pass to Shaq, who makes a move under the basket and scores. Click here to see the video.
Rondo got an assist on that.
Yes, Ray Allen made the pass. And maybe there should not have been an assist at all considering Shaq dribbled and went under the basket to score. But it certainly wasn’t a Rondo assist.
The league emailed Lowe and said that the assist would be rescinded.
If I were cynical, I would say it was home cooking to pad the stats. First, Rondo doesn’t really need help because he has been setting up teammates when he had wide open shots all season. But I’m going to just assume this was an honest mistake. It’s not like there have been a bunch of borderline assists all season. Nope. They would never pad the stats in Boston. Nope.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6