Jan 18, 2011, 1:54 PM EST
Rajon Rondo had 13 assists on the score sheet after the Celtics won in dramatic fashion over the Magic on Monday… except he only really had 12.
Zach Lowe of Sports Illustrated pointed it out this morning (caught first by Mark at Sham Sports): On the Celtics first play of the game Monday night Rondo is dribbling out at the top of the key while the Celtics run one of their standard sets. Ray Allen curls off a Shaquille O’Neal screen down low. Rondo hits Allen with a pass near the elbow and Allen then whips a bounce pass to Shaq, who makes a move under the basket and scores. Click here to see the video.
Rondo got an assist on that.
Yes, Ray Allen made the pass. And maybe there should not have been an assist at all considering Shaq dribbled and went under the basket to score. But it certainly wasn’t a Rondo assist.
The league emailed Lowe and said that the assist would be rescinded.
If I were cynical, I would say it was home cooking to pad the stats. First, Rondo doesn’t really need help because he has been setting up teammates when he had wide open shots all season. But I’m going to just assume this was an honest mistake. It’s not like there have been a bunch of borderline assists all season. Nope. They would never pad the stats in Boston. Nope.
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 0
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 32
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 8
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 20
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 18
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 6