Jan 18, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo had 13 assists on the score sheet after the Celtics won in dramatic fashion over the Magic on Monday… except he only really had 12.
Zach Lowe of Sports Illustrated pointed it out this morning (caught first by Mark at Sham Sports): On the Celtics first play of the game Monday night Rondo is dribbling out at the top of the key while the Celtics run one of their standard sets. Ray Allen curls off a Shaquille O’Neal screen down low. Rondo hits Allen with a pass near the elbow and Allen then whips a bounce pass to Shaq, who makes a move under the basket and scores. Click here to see the video.
Rondo got an assist on that.
Yes, Ray Allen made the pass. And maybe there should not have been an assist at all considering Shaq dribbled and went under the basket to score. But it certainly wasn’t a Rondo assist.
The league emailed Lowe and said that the assist would be rescinded.
If I were cynical, I would say it was home cooking to pad the stats. First, Rondo doesn’t really need help because he has been setting up teammates when he had wide open shots all season. But I’m going to just assume this was an honest mistake. It’s not like there have been a bunch of borderline assists all season. Nope. They would never pad the stats in Boston. Nope.
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 5
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 12
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 23
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 7
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final